General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

SPEEDTRONIC/CRUISE CONTROL ERROR?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 03:56 AM
Default RE: SPEEDTRONIC/CRUISE CONTROL ERROR?

Hi,
I'll try to explain a little further.
The CAN is a digital signal highway (two wires) that connects ALL sensors and ECU's together. The C CAN is the key high speed highway and covers engine management. Thousands of messages a second.
The B CAN is a slower (Body) highway that conveys signals from things like the seat switches to the seats.
Some sensors go to both highways.
The CAN is all over the car.
Systems are no longer "hard" wired. They are wired using digital technology. (A sensor sends a coded message down a common highway and is picked up by an appropriately tuned receiver. Lots of different signals/messages travel down the common highway (almost) simultaneously.
You can't clean the CAN but it is possible that the plugs/sockets that connect the components to the CAN have become corroded/damaged allowing signals/voltages to get into the CAN that shouldn't. (Partial connection between two pins in a plug for example.)

By eliminate the Cruise switch and accelerator pedal I meant eliminate them as possible causes by replacement.
The ME ECU is located in one of the big black boxes under the hood. I'll need to look up it's exact location since there are several ECU's in these boxes. Will try to do this later.
The steering column switch connector requires the steering wheel to be removed and this introduces the problem of the hazards of the SRS airbag which is located in the steering wheel if you are not familiar with carrying out this type of work.
Since the accelerator pedal is a "mechanical" device it is POSSIBLE that the potentiometer (variable resistor) which is inside the accelerator pedal moulding has become worn and is not giving the correct signal continuously to the ME ECU.
Forget the instrument pack for now.
I asked that the connectors on these components be unplugged, inspected, and reconnected to hopefully improve connection integrity.
EA stands for Electronic Accelerator. No longer is your foot connected to the engine by a cable/linkage. The connection is now electrical/electronic and involves a signal from the pedal being passed down the C CAN to the ME ECU. The ECU can do all sorts of clever things with a set up like this. eg. it can restrict the amount of throttle when the car is cold or stationary. EA's were introduced as part of the engine management system required to meet emmissions legislation.

Sleepwalkers is the guy with real world knowledge of MB. He also stated that it appears to be a signal issue.
The STAR system should be able to read the various digital signals and give at least some help in resolving these sorts of issues.
Since the instrument pack can read a code on the CAN (Speedtronic error) why can't the STAR?
Can't think why STAR didn't manage to communicate? Was the guy STAR trained or did he just use a "Press and Go" procedure.

I'm now even more sure it is a CAN fault.

You have now added another important bit of data.
The fault started when the brakes were replaced! Just the pads or rotors as well? Front and rear?
This COULD be entirely coincidental but it is POSSIBLE that there is a connection between these events.
Pads have electrical devices attached to them to signal pad wear. These connect to the CAN somehow. I need to find out how.
The hubs also have speed sensors used to determine wheel speed for ABS/ASR/ESP etc. which are also connected to the CAN. I would have expected ASR/ABS to have shown a fault if the speed sensors were defective/damaged/disconnected in some way but you never know.
Is ASR/ABS working correctly? Do the warning lights illuminate at ign ON and then go out? Just incase somebody has removed a bulb!
I also need to find out where the ME system gets its road speed signal from. I suspect that it will be on of the signals used to drive ASR/ABS etc.

Summary:
You have a Speed Limiter fault which occurs when the Limiter is used during a period of poor engine performance. The poor engine performance occurs intermittently/randomly. The fault can be cleared with multiple ignition On/Off. Both faults started following a brake replacement job.

I will keep thinking about this problem and maybe Sleepwalker / other members may have some additional ideas.

Unfortunately I think you will need to befriend your dealer because without STAR, or at least a very competent electronics expert, you are going to have problems finding the cause of this one without changing multiple expensive electronic components.
I'd personally like to understand this one so may contact Bosch to see if I can glean anything.
Is there ANYTHING else that you haven't told us. e.g. other systems that aren't working even if it is something like the interior light.
Most systems interface with the common digital highways.
Changing the ME ECU should be your last resort. How much do they want for an ECU. 2000 Euro?
Also bear in mind that changing the ECU COULD appear to correct the fault without the ECU actually being at fault!! If this doesn't make sense I will explain.
Stuart

Old 06-25-2006, 04:17 AM

Hello again

I got the pads and rotors changed, both front and rear - and after this the fault started.. the ASR/ABS works normally, and the warning light does illuminate at ign ON and then go out.

I had the car to a total of 5 MB workshops ( In 3 diff. countries Denmark, Sweden, Germany), and they all tell me the same thing " WE CAN NOT SEE ANY ERROR " - they all used STAR, but 2-3 weeks ago when my ENGINE light all of a sudden turned on, that fault they could read with STAR it was a airventil nothing big, they changed it, and the ENGINE light is off again, but i still got the performance issues.

One thing i was thinking of is: When MB use the star system, they turn off the car, and then put it on IGN ON, when the car is on IGN ON the fault message does not apper in the cars display - You have to turn on the car, and activate the limiter and then push it up, and then it says BIP and the fault message turns up. So what i am saying is, could it have anything to do with that when they use STAR on the car, the cars display does not show and error message? ( I dont think so, cus the cars computer system should have stored the fault in its memory right? )

The ME ECU cost 520 Euros, but i dont want to change it if its more likely its something else....

I dont know... i did from the start think it was something with the brakejob, but i dont know ...... Should i have MB take of all brakes and rotors and have a look at that?

Ps. Yes i told everything there is to know this time hehe, sorry bout i forgot to mention the brakejob.

Pps: what do you mean by "Also bear in mind that changing the ECU COULD appear to correct the fault without the ECU actually being at fault!! If this doesn't make sense I will explain. "

Old 07-01-2006, 06:03 AM

I went to MB workshop yestoday...

We changed a few things and nothing would seem to clear the problem, until they took a look at the ME ECU, THERE WAS OIL IN THE ME ECU!!! - THE ME ECU was faulty, they changed the ME ECU and SO FAR the fault is gone and the car works normally

I hope it will remain this way.....

Old 12-18-2007, 05:40 AM

hi just joined, i have the same problem as u have mentioned with speedtronic on my e 200 komp , can u let me know if u solved this problem , thanks

Old 03-05-2016, 10:01 AM

Hello, i have the same problem too. "speedtronic /cr.ctrl visit workshop" can you help me?
Good Works.

2001, w203,c200, m111.955

Old 07-30-2019, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by snanceki
Speedtronic is the Cruise Control.
The Speed Limiter is part of the Cruise / Speedtronic system.
Strange that the Cruise still works. Properly or just "sort of"?
You don't state model/year/mileage of vehicle.

Can't think why MB couldn't tell you exactly what this warning is even if they couldn't locate the fault!!

As a guess I would suspect the speed sensor to the Speedtronic or dependent upon age of the vehicle the electronic accelerator system
I have same problem on my E270cdi 2006. Feels like in limp mode but not. But when i switch of and on again she runs 100%normal but engin warning light stays on. Mercedes could not clear it and wanted to replace my ECU for R28k. Nothing wtong with my car must be something small