General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Mercedes vs OEM Parts?

Old 07-19-2006, 10:22 PM
Default Mercedes vs OEM Parts?

I recently broke drown (literally and figuratively) and brought my '88 190E 2.3 to a new mechanic for the 1st time. I'm in New Orleans and my old standby mechanic is no longer in business since Katrina. My new mechanic told me to ONLY use Mercedes parts NOT OEM. I said, "No Bosch" - "NO!" he quickly shot back. I have never heard this before. I've been using OEM parts for years and always thought I was doing the right thing. He says even though they are Original Equipment Manufactured they're not specifically designed for MB and it would be throwing $$$ down the drain to use them. Is there any validity to this? OK assuming he's right, where do you get MB parts??? I can only find OEM. Thanks in advance for your comments.
-Daniel M.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Mercedes vs OEM Parts?

You are right and he is ....well?

Either the part is the exact same one used in the car's manufacture, or it is not. OEM is just what it says. It is true that some parts get produced by many suppliers. So different brands can be OEM. Also, improved parts can be available for lots of items, like upgrade brake parts, for example, or K& N air filters, etc. These can be and are often better than original equipment.

Quality? I would stick with the best parts you can afford. Your mechanic MAY be getting a better deal on some parts and is willing to give you a warrantee that would satisfy you. Something you need to feel comfortable with since it IS YOUR MONEY.

IMHO.

Old 07-20-2006, 12:44 AM

Thanks Drew,
I need to replace my Distributor and Rotor. Should I go with Bosch (or other OEM) or MB or do you know of another?
Thanks,
-Daniel

Old 07-20-2006, 02:02 PM

I have used, like yourself OEM parts for years on many cars and don't remember ever having a problem with any. Up here in Mass, I know my mechanic gets a better discount then us MBCA menbers do, when he buys from Mercedes Perhaps his OEM supplier doesn't fork over a good discount?

I might agree on your new mechanic's NO on Bosch. I ordered a set of Bosch Euro lights, besides not being able to connect them properly myself, even with directions supplied. I took them to my mechanic this past Monday. I called him yesterday and he said he thinks he has them figured out and the supplied directions were not correct. He also commented these lights even thou Bosch, are cheaply made. He is going to solder the connections as the pins, that Mercedes uses and Bosch their OEM supplier on many parts uses , keep are falling out?? I had that problem when I tried hooking them up myself. I would expect for $600 plus shipping, I would get a quality product. My mechanic did agree the lenses were of decent quality, glass for the headlights, and plastic for the parking lights. Now I need to buy some of headlight production material. That being said, perhaps your mechanic is not too, too far of on his comment about Bosch?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:18 AM

I have also been using OEM parts as well and I don't think I'm wasting any money. OEM is a part that is made by the same manufacturer as the genuine part we would normally receive from our local automotive dealer. Believe it or not most carmakers do not manufacture and produce the parts they use to build their automobiles. In fact, most carmakers use outside independent companies to help them design the parts used in your car. What these carmakers actually do, is put them in their own boxes with their logos to make you believe that you are buying a part that the carmaker made itself. So OEM is just as good as aftermarket(well for me). I have had Mercedes benz ML parts from a dealer and it is worth my bucks.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:54 AM

My take on this is unless you are trying to keep your car all original,OEM parts work just fine. I have had great performance from them and have not had any problems. I have found reasonable and very unreasonable prices for Mercedes parts at the dealer. When they are unreasonable I go elsewhere for my parts. Usually I have to wait 2 days to get parts from the dealer anyway so to order online it only takesa few days longer.
Jim
1986 190e

Old 02-28-2007, 11:59 AM

There is a very good article at the Autohaus AZ site that thoroughly explains OE, OEM, OES, etc. Parts. I've bought from them for both my cars and they are quite good as a company, offer the right part priced very competitively, and have a knowledgeable staff. The link below will take you to their take on this parts discussion.

BTW, I have no interest in Autohaus, financial or otherwise...they're just a good resource to know about.

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/auto_parts_shopping.html

Bob

Old 04-25-2008, 12:48 AM

Hi everyone, my brother is also using OEM parts for years and I've noticed that he has not encountered problems with his Mercedes OEM parts.