Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   MOFSET??? (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/mofset-7950/)

BoominBenz 11-23-2005 10:18 PM

RE: MOFSET???

I agree with what sleepwalker was saying. It's kinda difficult to find BUZ102S MOSFETS without ordering 400 at a time.

Here are some cross referenced MOSFETs that should be perfect replacements for the BUZ102S

Fairchild Semiconductor HUF75329P3
ST Microelectronics STP55NF06

Digikey has the STP55NF06 available for a couple bucks a piece.

DRTYLNDY 11-24-2005 12:37 PM

Yes it is mosfet not mofset like I spelled it earlier. The mosfets are the components that fail in the instrument cluster. I did A LOT of research on this since I have NO intention in giving the dealer $2000 for a new cluster. I have found an alternate mosfet made by International Rectifier. Luckily a buddy of mine works with this crap and is getting me some free samples so hopefully I can fix it myself.

DRTYLNDY 11-24-2005 12:38 PM

Maine

BoominBenz 11-24-2005 07:09 PM

If you look around, you should be able to get free samples for yourself instead of through your buddy, but whatever works!

C280 wizard 11-24-2005 08:29 PM

Probably the following is a stupid questions, but what do this Mosfet transistors contol in the instruments? I assume they are prone to failure the way you folks talks about them? Also, are they used in other things besides cars?

C280 wizard 11-24-2005 08:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Lugnut

They're used for high-speed switching. It's one of those things you appreciate but don't have to worry about... like Wonder Bras. Don't knock it until you try it, my late father use to say.

sleepwalker 11-24-2005 10:59 PM

the new instrument cluster used some kind of lighting which is ver similar to neon (am not good in electronics so i am poor in terms).

this neon (whatever it is), uses high voltage. there is some kind of step-up voltage inverter transformer to convert the voltage from 12 volts to whatever voltage this neon needed (i didn't dare to try it since am afraid of shock). maybe 200volts or more?

well, i think this this mosfet do the job alternately to keep this power high from 3 generators (it can be capacitor, etc).

i think i need some help here because i am a layman on this things, so those were in layman's terms. i can be wrong.

Lugnut 11-25-2005 02:04 AM

We don't need to know.

They're use in high-power car amplifiers too.

Lugnut 11-25-2005 02:13 AM

Don't knock it until you try it, my late father use to say.
That's an awfully strange comment you made. Was your father fitted for a Wonder Bra? Were you?

If I say you'll appreciate something but don't have to worry about it... like a Wonder Bra, what does that mean to you? To other guys, it means they like what a Wonder Bra does to a woman's cleavage, but they don't need to know she's wearing one or how it works. Can you now see the analogy between my Wonder Bra comment and the MOSFET comments?

DRTYLNDY 12-02-2005 09:53 AM

Well I replaced the mosfets and the cluster came back to life but the illumination on the speedometer is not like it use to be, any suggestions? Also the check engine light is on as well now, should I just disconnect the battery to clear it?