General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Lifter noise???

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:32 AM
Default Lifter noise???

Hi guys,

I have an 2000 E430 and am experiencing what sounds like the classic lifter noise in the upper valve train. Clicking and clacking at start up and gets worse as ambient temp falls. Goes away after the engine warms up. I've heard this on many cars but don't understand why I should hear the lifter "slop" when the car has hydraulic lifters. I thought the whole point of hyd lifters was to adjust for component wear and eliminate the need for adjustment.

Can someone explain this to me? Common problem on E430's? Something else other than lifters? Should this be an immediate concern? Guidance, etc.

Thanks much,
Matt

Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Default RE: Lifter noise???

You could very wellhave a lifter/valvetrain problem...another cause of this noise can be carbon build-up on the top of the pistons. Before you go crazy and replace lifters/cams/rocker/rocker shafts, get a can or two of any super strength engine cleaner, drop it in the tank when the tank is around 1/4 full. Drive the car at around 4000-5000 rpm for a very sustained period(30 min-1 hour). Sometimes, this carbon build up can sound exactly like a ticking lifter. If you decarbonize the pistons by this process, it may loosen the carbon up and resolve the noise. See if this helps.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: mbzex

You could very wellhave a lifter/valvetrain problem...another cause of this noise can be carbon build-up on the top of the pistons. Before you go crazy and replace lifters/cams/rocker/rocker shafts, get a can or two of any super strength engine cleaner, drop it in the tank when the tank is around 1/4 full. Drive the car at around 4000-5000 rpm for a very sustained period(30 min-1 hour). Sometimes, this carbon build up can sound exactly like a ticking lifter. If you decarbonize the pistons by this process, it may loosen the carbon up and resolve the noise. See if this helps.
My tech said exactly the same thing when a clicking noise developed on startup (113 engine)that to me sounded metallic; he just chuckled and said, 'add two bottles Chevron Techron Injector Cleaner to 1/4 tank gas, take it out and run the **** out of it'. Clicking gone.

Bob

Old 11-21-2007, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with all of the above.

Try an oil change, make sure the oil level is correct, fill the car with premium fuel, not low octane, and see if the problem goes away. I have a 2000 CLK, and my last tank of gas has caused the lifters to rattle as well. I want a home octane test, that I can whip out every time I fill up! Somebody invent that, so I know I'm getting what I'm paying for.