General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Lifetime Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Default Lifetime Transmission Fluid

I understand that my transmission has lifetime transmission fluid and does not need to be replaced. I would like to know if it would be at all beneficial to the longevity of my car if I continued to flush and fill my tranny fluid every 30K miles. Any tips out there?

Also, I just drove my car from Texas, and will be doing much city driving for a while. Should I change the engine oil more often than every 10K miles as the maintenance book recommends?

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2005, 02:28 AM
Default RE: Lifetime Transmission Fluid

I change my mom's every 7,500miles/or 12 months. I use Mobil 1 0w-40 synthetic. We're in AZ.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:37 AM

If you don't have synthetic already, you might benefit with exchanging the fluid for it.
Some shops have pumps, that will pump new fluid thru the converter to exchange most of it, instead of some % you can by draining the pan.
Another way is to disconnect the cooling line, drain whatever comes from it with engine running, add the same amount of new fluid, drain it again and this way till the full capacity is of transmission is drained.
It won't be perfect, but over 90%.

Old 10-07-2005, 05:55 AM

If you have been changing your tranny fluid, continue doing it. You are the smart one. There is no such thing as "lifetime" tranny fluid. But there is "more burned out transmissions for the dealer to replace" fluid. Thats the fluid that doesn't get changed.

Old 10-07-2005, 10:36 AM

It sounds like the Wise Man will change his trans fluid in the 60 - 80k mile range. Most that wait 'til 100k find black/darkened fluid. This info is backed up by my dealer's comments. They do suggest changing periodically assuming you plan on keeping the vehicle beyond 3 - 4 years.