General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

OBD-2 plug location

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Default OBD-2 plug location

Hello,
Can anyone direct me to the location of the OBD-2 connection on my 97 e420?

Many Thanks!
-Scott

Old 01-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: OBD-2 plug location

driver's side, under dash.

Old 01-28-2005, 11:56 AM

I will look there again.
Thanks!
This board has been a super resource enabling DIY maintenance. On a memeber's recommendation I purchased the Car Code system to connect my laptop computer to the car. www.obd-2.com . When it gets a little warmer I will plug in and post my experience.

Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 PM

Here’s my experience with the Car Code system purchased in 6/2004. Conclusion: Highly recommend.

What I like: Fast and fairly simple to read information from your car’s OBDII system. Displays standard as well as extended MB data real-time, even while driving. Provides more data than I could ever imagine as a DIY’er – you get visibility into a whole new universe of information under the hood and around you while it’s happening – very cool stuff. It lets you save your data for future analysis on PC. It provides a brief explanation to accompany any trouble codes it finds and lets you reset them (check engine light/trouble codes) immediately in cars computer. Software upgrades are frequent and free.

What I didn’t like: The documentation is somewhat cryptic so plan an hour of time to read and become familiar before using. However, this was my first experience using this type of equipment.

Considerations you should be aware of: The system includes software that you download from Car Code (www.obd2.com) and an Interface cable that they ship to you. It’s not the cheapest unit for reading trouble codes – the system starts at $122, its a little more if you want expanded compatibility with some other manufacturers. (cheap=no, expensive=no, value=yes) You should have a laptop/portable computer with a serial or USB port to plug in the cable that connects to the car’s ODB2 port.

That’s it folks, good luck!