General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

How to make my phone work

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 04:10 PM
Default How to make my phone work

I just bought a 2006 SL500. I have a Nokia 6085 Cellphone that is GSM compatible. When I looked at the phone cable plug in the car it is different from my phone's plug. Assuming my phone will work what do I need? If it won't work what will I need to to setup the phone system?

Thanks.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:45 PM
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 AM
Default Nope

Thanks for the suggestion. I know that option is available, but considering my wife uses her phone on an average of about four calls per month, or less, it's just not worth $500. I was hoping there was a cheaper solution. It sure seems like all that would be needed to have the basic functions work is a cable adapter.

I do have a question though; if the phone you recommended is installed can I still use AT&T as my provider?

Thanks.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Default Still hoping someone can help

Can someone PLEASE help me on this?

Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM

The only other option would be to get an aftermarket bluetooth unit which can be hardwired to the car or rechargeable that clips to the visor like mine does. You are going to be in the $500+ range for any of the mercedes options. Sorry.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:51 AM

MBTECHINFO
MBTECHINFO, I did post a thread identical to this thread at another Mercedes Forum and I received a reply that I'm going to look into.

The info I received is probably worth sharing so here it is:

"In the UK there are two options available if the car has factory pre-wiring.

1. A holder/charger(if available) for you Nokia handset - this will charge the handset but only will work with your current handset.
For. Charges and holds the handset
Against. Will only work with your current handset.

2. Bluetooth - does not charge/hold the handset. Connection to the existing installed kit is wireless.
For. Works with most** (check with dealer) bluetooth handsets. So yous and the wifes phone will both work !
Against. Does not hold/charge the phone.

I now always use the bluetooth option, its expensive but you can simply remove it and clip it into your new merc. Also 2 types of bluetooth;

1. The handset is the transmitter/receiver - you get the same reception as you do with your cell. This version is cheaper does not not intergrate completely with the command, texts etc are not displayed. But it will work with most handsets with bluetooth - despite what the dealer will tell you.

2. The handset intergrates completely with the command, the onboard factory kit acts as the rx/tx so improved reception. Texts message are displayed on command, etc. Down side is the phone when connected to the kit, the handset cannot be used at all, everything is controlled via command. This version even allows for an additional sim card to remain in the bluetooth adaptor at all times, so you end up with simular functions as the onstar phone.
BUT a very limited range of handsets will work, the handset must have 'remote sim mode'.

For me bluetooth every time !!

I assume that the factory kit will work on the 1900gsm network in the states ( in the UK we use 900/1800mhz) i.e T Mobile, AT&T. Dont know about Sprint, etc this is not a GSM carrier.

The bluetooth is nothing to do with the cellular provider - bluetooth only provides the wireless connection between the handset and another device - headset, computer, MB Handsfree !

In the UK there are two options available if the car has factory pre-wiring.

1. A holder/charger(if available) for you Nokia handset - this will charge the handset but only will work with your current handset.

2. Bluetooth - does not charge/hold the handset. Connection to the existing installed kit is wireless.
For. Works with most** (check with dealer) bluetooth handsets. So yous and the wifes phone will both work !

I now always use the bluetooth option, its expensive but you can simply remove it and clip it into your new merc. Also 2 types of bluetooth;

1. The handset is the transmitter/receiver - you get the same reception as you do with your cell. This version is cheaper does not not intergrate completely with the command, texts etc are not displayed. But it will work with most handsets with bluetooth - despite what the dealer will tell you.

2. The handset intergrates completely with the command, the onboard factory kit acts as the rx/tx so improved reception. Texts message are displayed on command, etc. Down side is the phone when connected to the kit, the handset cannot be used at all, everything is controlled via command. This version even allows for an additional sim card to remain in the bluetooth adaptor at all times, so you end up with simular functions as the onstar phone.
BUT a very limited range of handsets will work, the handset must have 'remote sim mode'.

I assume that the factory kit will work on the 1900gsm network in the states ( in the UK we use 900/1800mhz) i.e T Mobile, AT&T. Dont know about Sprint, etc this is not a GSM carrier.

The bluetooth is nothing to do with the cellular provider - bluetooth only provides the wireless connection between the handset and another device - headset, computer, MB Handsfree !

In the UK there are two options available if the car has factory pre-wiring.

MBTECHINFO
MBTECHINFO