Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   ...HELP....HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT! (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/help-heater-core-replacement-9504/)

j7watts77 02-19-2006 03:40 AM

...HELP....HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT!

Okay, Mercedes wants $2200 to replace my heater core. I decided to fix it myself and I'm about 30% into the job. I'm STUCK! I dont know how to get the huge central HVAC part off to get to the heater core! The dash is completely off. The center console is out. All I have staring at me is the huge climate unit that directs the heat or air. How do I get it out of the way so I can get to the heater core??? Any links or pics or advice???

J.Watts

snanceki 02-19-2006 04:07 AM

RE: ...HELP....HEATER CORE REPLACEMENT!

Model, Year, VIN?
Stuart

j7watts77 02-19-2006 04:29 AM

its a 1995 S420...the VIN is down in the garage...do I really need to go in the garge to get the info?

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:03 AM

remove wiper, disconnect hoses and expansion valve.

you need to pull out the whole thing.

j7watts77 02-19-2006 05:16 AM

...so, I dont need to pull the dashboard off? You're saying that I have to go thru the ENGINE side to do this, right? So, what's Mercedes talking about pulling the dashboard and all of that off for??? Pulling the center console out and all of that...

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:31 AM

yes! you have to remove the whole dashboard too because that's where it's coming out.

j7watts77 02-19-2006 05:34 AM

...okay, thanks. I'm no genius at working on Mercedes. I'm not used to all of this tight engineering and all of that. So, to clarify before I do any more damage to my car: I have to go into the engine on the firewall, take off the wipers and the hoses that attach thru the firewall, then get back into the car and pull that huge, black climate HVAC control thing out?

Let me know if I'm going in the right direction with this...

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:39 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/FC5A874D2B904258A30A259A91B03A10.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:40 AM

/

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/98AF921AC2354553AB864D3AA94AE311.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-19-2006 05:43 AM

WOW! You got illustrations! Man, if this works, I'll need your paypal ID...I swear! I will give you $50 just for helping me out..no joke! I know you knowledge is worth more than that, but it's all I got right now. If I had more, I'd pay you more just as a favor! Take your girl out to dinner or something...just cause you helped a random stranger out. I've been having the WORST time with this for the past week and two days...THANKS! Be sure you give me your paypal address...I wont take NO for an answer. you can visit me at www.vegashotboyz.com to see that I am a legit person...I'm very straightforward and I respect the fact that you're helping me out!

Have a great 2006! I hope I can fix this! Dont send me your paypal address until I'm 100% sure that I wont have to pay a tow truck to come clean up the mess I've created. I've only got so much cash on me...but I WILL pay you for this favor...I swear!

THANKS A LOT!

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:47 AM

nuts

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/48B5A37F09F5447FBEA0DD165E8A575A.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 05:51 AM

Take your girl out to dinner or something...just cause you helped a random stranger out
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

[sm=thanx.gif][sm=thanx.gif][sm=thanx.gif]

just finish it first... that's more important for now.

j7watts77 02-19-2006 05:54 AM

HAHAHAH! yeah...I put in enough hours for the day...it's like 1am right now and I'm jumping into bed AS WE TYPE! Tomorrow is a whole new day! I got something that JUST might help me! Thanks!

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 06:19 AM

1 am in las vegas is the time where the fun starts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/63C951DA595B40DDAB4F027E69CBDD50.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 06:20 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/507D3FE5B95F4D0FB852833F926B1CF3.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 06:24 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/3C6AEBD59F8E4CDD9FBCF251E5D8F0F8.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-19-2006 06:27 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/1B46F5674C694E88A0CC1E73623C8A88.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-19-2006 01:22 PM

...yeah, I'd be out having some fun if my CAR wasnt in hundreds of little pieces right now...hahaha!

Thanks for all of the extra material! I'm sure this stuff will help TREMENDOUSLY, seeing that I wouldnt even BEGIN to image that I had to remove all of this stuff. Now I see why the hood goes vertical on these cars...I'm about to put in some SERIOUS work over the next few days! I will definately stay in touch!

j7watts77 02-20-2006 10:28 PM

I'm at a standstill...I can't figure out how to get the driver's side of the climate unit off. The files you sent me show what's on the side of the unit, but I can't blow the illustration up large enough to really see it well enough to be 100% sure that I've got all the bolts out...I dont know what to do! I keep pulling it, and it sorta gives way. The passenger side is 100% ready, but it's that darn driver's side that won't release fully...there's gotta be another bolt that I'm not aware of...can you help me one more time???

Thanks a million!

j7watts77 02-20-2006 10:31 PM

...actually, in the picture of the climate control unit, Picture #6 is the one that I'm not too sure about...if I can get a blown up version of that, I will be able to see all of the screws on that side...it's gotta be something on that side...thanks!

sleepwalker 02-20-2006 10:56 PM

nothing much holds it. just those 10 mm screws.

make sure the things on engine side was all disconnected.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/8352D7C9C76749AFA019FC2835270CA7.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-20-2006 10:57 PM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/0466AA187CBA4012A73AC85A3EE77A22.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-20-2006 11:06 PM

In pic #3 on the illustration, I dont have that bolt with the ARROW located in my engine...I unhooked all of three of the hoses...I unscrewed the bolts in pic #1 and #2...but whatever that is with the arrow, I dont have that...I have an aluminum part there...it looks like it's connected to a tube of some sort, but there's no way to do anything with it. It doesnt have a screw or bolt or nut or anything on it...it's going thru the firewall, but it isnt connected to anything that has to do with the climate control, I dont believe. I will have to take a pic and send it to you...

j7watts77 02-20-2006 11:13 PM

...here's what I have...You can see the heater core hoses have been removed. the other thing to the left of it is something that is definately connected to the climate control unit, tho? I just shook the hose connections and THAT thing moved too! It's connected, but how do I get it off???

[IMG]local://upfiles/10836/B81516B1474F496E8ED49F114D45649C.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-21-2006 12:38 AM

that was the expansion valve.

makes sure the freon is drained before disconnecting it.

there is one allen bolt on the middle of those two pipes. unscrew it.

j7watts77 02-21-2006 01:37 AM

...okay...wish I would've read your last post before I actually turned that screw. I could only turn it a little bit, then all of a sudden, "PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSTTTTT!" I'm talking about HIGH pressure! I thought I blew the damn car up! I jumped clear across the garage, dropped the 10mm wrench into the engine, nearly knocked my light out, then RAN back to the car trying to tighten it back as all of this mist was spraying all over the place!

...but after I figured it would eventually have to stop, I just put a towel over it and let it fizz out...took a while. I started thinking, "...that smelled like that RC-34A stuff from Walmart...", so I figured it was the A/C. Well, I took that bolt off and YANKED that console outta my dash. I unhooked the blower adapters and all of that before I did...just like your instructions said. Everything SEEMS to be fine...I actually got this part out...I THINK it's the heater core. I was sitting vertical. I'm gonna take a pic and send it to you in a second. I HOPE it's the heater core. There's actually TWO radiators/heater cores, but I only took out one. It was the one with the three hoses connected to it...the smaller of the two...

I dont know if I'll be able to put ALL of this stuff back together...wow...I think I'm up SH_T creek, actually, but I wanted to BEAT this car and I DID! I made it to the heater core!!! Now, I'm seriously in some deep doo doo...my car is in a million parts and pieces with baggies all over the place with screws and bolts in them. I'm seriously going to have an anxiety attack one of these days messing with these cars...hahahaha...I need a brown bag for this one...

...let me get that pic and YOU tell me if it's the heater core...thanks!!!

j7watts77 02-21-2006 01:54 AM

Okay....here are the pics. I also put some pics of how my car NOW looks! Horrible! the entire console/dash/HVAC is completely gone and sitting in my passenger floorboard and seat...that's as far as I'm moving it...no further than that! I got everything where I can remember it, so I dont wanna do any more until I'm 100% sure that THIS is the cause of that serious leak...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10836/F042BD3AE6F04C5A8EA526F8DA81B312.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-21-2006 01:55 AM

...here's the file of the HVAC in the front seat now...hahaha...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10836/CB669AB742E7443B9A51CAB884CC46AD.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-21-2006 02:03 AM

here's a pic of the leak...I think...

[IMG]local://upfiles/10836/F3870F366E2F4ABFA2ECB69EDD8240A5.jpg[/IMG]

j7watts77 02-21-2006 02:07 AM

...here's a better pic of the leak...I swear, if this isn't the leak, then I'll be ticked off! Does this look like an antifreeze leak to you? I think it does...but I'm not a mechanic. All I know is that maybe this part shouldn't be wet. It doesnt look like it could've came from the other larger radiator in front of it...I can't get that one out. It was connected to the A/C system...the pressurized part was connected to it, so I'm ASSUMING that was the A/C part of this unit...

I work on streetbikes and do a little fabricating on the side, so I kinda got a lot of tools...but I DONT work on these cars! You have really done a good job teaching me thru the computer, tho! Might consider going into consulting for yourself...I'd definately sign up to your site and become a member! You've got some good knowledge, Mr....

[IMG]local://upfiles/10836/AAA9015F2FBE45B9918BBC54366DE00E.jpg[/IMG]

sleepwalker 02-21-2006 04:52 AM

yep, it's a leak alright.

does it got a sweet / sour smell whenever you open the heater?

if you got a tub of water, you may submerge the thing to it, plug the other two holes and put air pressure inside.

if it bubbles from that area, then it is confirmed.

that's a big mess you made with the car.

i'm expecting you to have an extra handfull of nuts and screws after everything was done :D

anyway, you can easily make it. removing is more difficult than re-installing.

j7watts77 02-21-2006 07:47 AM

HAHAHAHA! Yeah, I'm expecting to have a ton of screws left over! I've mistakenly cracked several small tabs in the process to! But I think I can live with it...especially after this nightmare! hahaha...all I know is that I was saying a lot of "...oooops....whoops....jeeeEEEZ!", all night...and I've been working on it since before the 10th of February! I dont think I'll remember where 100% of all of the screws go...I was expecting something more around the 70% range...hahahaha!

I wont disappoint you! You will get update pics! hahaha...if you see a man on CNN surrounded the local SWAT, throwing Mercedes HVAC parts down the street, that would be me....

sleepwalker 02-21-2006 09:07 AM

:D:D

at least 92% you'll be able to put the right screw in place. you work on motorbikes and that counts.

screws for metal clips and plastics are different.

j7watts77 03-05-2006 09:17 AM

..okay, the heater core is now replaced! I only have a few bolts remaining in my hand. I have more screws remaining than I do bolts. About 4 nuts leftover and 5 washers...lord knows where they go. I guess I'll find out when I hit the freeway...hahahaha! But seriously, it was a pretty horrifying experience. I dont think I'll ever do that again. Taking it apart took 10 days of working about 2 to 3 hrs/night. Putting it back together has taken me about 5 to 7 hours so far...I'm about 85% done. I think tomorrow will be the last day - if I can get the window switches put back into the correct window adapter! Before I do that, I need to get the ignition to work again...so I can at least test it.

For all of you out there that are thinking of replacing a heater core on your own, take it to Mercedes. Save yourself the trouble! I think the $2200 is worth it to NOT have all of this stuff all over the place - even with trying to organize it in baggies and labels. I could've afforded payments on the repair, actually. Maybe it would've taken me two months to pay for it, but it's worth it.

...oh, I have to replace my windshield now...long story on that on, but it's the heater core's fault! The central unit wouldn't go in, so I got the bright idea to use my FOOT to help push it into place...well, when my foot slipped, my work boot kinda hit the windshield DEAD CENTER! Spider cracks shot in every direction before I could even blink.

I wasn't even upset, tho...wierd. It's like I knew it would happen...or I at least felt something BAD would happen. Replacing the windshield WILL be done at the dealership because I'm done opening up GIANT cans of worms on this car. Sell it? Nope...I think I'm going to use it til it explodes and then part out whatever's left...honestly. I didnt do a great job on this, so I wouldnt feel 100% secure in my own mind letting someone else take it off my hands. All I know is that the antifreeze leak is fixed! Several plastic pieces are cracked or broken. Tabs are warped. Bolts and screws are left over. And my car will be back on the road like this...

...it's my fault for trying to be a Mercedes tech. But I'm not even upset...wierd. It's like I feel that I deserve this car now...NOW, it's my custom 1995 S420...not too many on the road like it now! Actually, not ONE on the road like it now! hahahaha...

Good luck with all your future repairs, folks...I'm hanging up my repair jersey...retiring it...not bringing it outta retirement like Jordan, either...nope...I'm done...

....well, at least until I get an American built car...hahahaha!

sleepwalker 03-05-2006 09:56 AM

take it to Mercedes. Save yourself the trouble! I think the $2200 is worth it to NOT have all of this stuff all over the place
am willing and happy to do it for $300. no sweat.

i have sent you pm.

you did it for 8 hours which not bad for first timer.