Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/)
-   -   Help! alarm goes off intermittenly? Dealer says $1200 (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/general-tech-5/help-alarm-goes-off-intermittenly-dealer-says-%241200-14078/)

fastmike99 08-31-2006 06:05 PM

Help! alarm goes off intermittenly? Dealer says $1200

I have a 99 e430. The turn and parking lights go off and start blilnking for no apparent reason. I took teh car to the dealer and they said it was teh PSE Pump and it would be about $1200 to fix....

Reading some past post it appears i can
1) deactivate the alarm under the passenger side flooring
2) deactivate using key
3) check swithces andfuses

Any advice on what to do. Is it really the teh PSE pump that is the problem..ANd is it realy that much to fix?

Thanks
Mike

snanceki 09-01-2006 05:17 AM

RE: Help! alarm goes off intermittenly? Dealer says $1200

I agree that the PSE is certainly culprit No. 1

This unit is located in the rear of the car and carries out several functions.

1. It supplies air to power the door locks.
2. It monitors bulb failure.
3. It provides vehicle security.

Device is digitally linked to the vehicle CAN hence strange symptoms can occur.

Why MB put 3 different functions and technolgies (mechanical, electrical and electronic) into the same box is beyond me.

In the UK PSE is ABOUT (guess) £150. Fitting is about 30 mins (£50) since ideally you need to CODE the new unit to select whether you want auto locking etc. although this can be omitted. The job is quite straight forward for DIY except the coding and clearing the OBD diagnostics.

1200 USD? They must be taking you for a ride? Ask them for a breakdown of costs.

You can often find PSE units on eBay. Ensure you get the correct (or latest) version if you go this way. MB have changed the design MANY times and they are not backward compatible.

Stuart

fastmike99 09-01-2006 04:53 PM

Stuart,

Thank you for your response. I have some questions though

1) I don;t have the abilitly to CODE the PSE. Shoot all i have is basic tools. How do i work around this?
2) Mercedes gave me the part no. It is 210-800-27-48. When i go on ebay or a parts store can i just give this part number or is there something else i should look for? ( 99 E430)
3) WHere can i get some diargrams and insturctions on what a PSE looks like, location, removal, and installation?

Thank you

Mike

snanceki 09-02-2006 04:24 AM

Hi Fastmike99,

Where are you based? Online at 7.00am suggests the UK.

Coding sets up the module for market, engine typoe etc. It may or maynot be mandatory to code the unit.

On my SLK320 it was NOT required since the only feature I required which was not activated when i installed the PSE was auto (+5mph) locking. This can be activated/deactivated by pressing the dash locking button for several seconds. At worse you could fit the unit and then get your friendly" MB dealer to code the unit for you at a convenient future date. They usually charge £25 for this 5 minute job unless of course you are a "good" customer. In addition the PSE will have thrown up a fault code which ideally should be cancelled but most MB's go around with many in memory. This is to help the dealer with any subsequent diagnosis since the PSE circuit doesn't have a warning light so the customer doesn't even know a fault is stored. My S class had about 50 "faults" which had been corrected but memory not cancelled despite main dealer servicing and rectification!!

If you send me a PM I will semd you a photo of the Bosch PSE unit. Can't be sure EXACTLY where the PSE is in your vehiclew ithout reference to WIS. I think it is most probably under the rear seat although the SLK has it in the boot. It will certainly be towards the rear of the car however. Its a big lump so you can't miss it especially the yellow pneumativs tubes.

The unit is straightforward unplug (including pneumatics) and replug.

Stuart