General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Girl in need of help in men's world of cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Default Girl in need of help in men's world of cars

hello.
i have a slight problem with my mercedes C180 1996. Recently i was in the car with my friends and listening to music and after 2 hours, the battery died. i tried to jump start it using another car, but when i connected the jump leads sparks came out of the battery. tried it several times with no luck. so i called my break down service and they jump started it and worked. Everything worked except that on the instrument panel, 3 lights are always lit now. one is of the handbrake, ABS and one Brake. i have checked the fuses. All fuses are OK. what else can i try. also the speedometer stopped working at the same time. The rev meter works but not the speedo meter. Please make any suggestions on how i can solve ma problem.
kindest reagrds and huggies [&o]

Old 12-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Default RE: Girl in need of help in men's world of cars

You need to check a few other fuses not usually checked. Check the F1,F2,F3 fuses on the top of your Base Computer Module, located in a computer modules (plural) box or assembly in the engine compartment. I have a mid 1990s S600, and these computer modules are located on the passenger side engine compartment, under a bolted or screwed down cover/top. Remove this cover and check these fuses, which one may be blown from the battery jump starting process.
Let us know what happens so we can help you.

Old 12-19-2006, 10:02 PM

This happened on my daughters Cavalier. Go to Autozone or Advance Auto and ask them to check the battery and the altenator. (Free test) Her problem was both. After I replaced them, everything returned to normal. No more dash lites staying on. Let us know....
Ken

Old 12-20-2006, 04:19 AM

So men have their uses!

Sparks when you tried to jump start. Suspect that you got +ve and -ve mixed up. You usually get a small spark if one of the batteries is dead but big sparks can cause BIG problems to the elkectronics due to incorrect polarity.

Since you have several different systems showing a problem I suspect that a "computer" (including the instrument pack itself) somewhere hasn't liked the wrong polarity.

listening to your radio for 2 hours shouldn't have run the battery down so it sounds as though the battery or charging circuit are also in need of a bit of TLC.

Think you will have to get some professional help to read the on board diagnostic codes. Unfortunately this is a chargeable job and is best done by an MB dealer but without it you could go round in (expensive) circles for some time.

Get the dealer to diagnose the problem but separate this from repair. Expect to pay £50 for a PRINTED diagnostic print out and likely diagnosis from the codes. Then come back and we can see if we can help further before you part with your money.

OF COURSE check out the fuses as stated by the other post since the fuses are INTENDED to prevent damage to electronic circuits. If you don't find anything wrong you need to ask how you checked out the fuses. By eye! Not good enough. Need to use a test meter.

Stuart

Old 12-20-2006, 06:27 PM

Thank you people for your suggestion. when you say check fuses, i think i have checked all of them. I got 2 fuse boxes. one is under the bonet on the drivers's side and one box is located in the boot, holding a few fuses there. WMERCER said check fuses F1, F2 etc etc. where can i find them. Kindly if you can please use simple words, as i have no clue about the terminology. you boys use some complicated words, that make no sense to me kindly use simple words. So where can i find those F1, F2 fuses. my car is C180 1996, where can i find those fuses in my car exactly...
thanks once again boys...

Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

fuse. located on traction relay k40/4f2 or on top of overvoltage protection relay.

Old 12-21-2006, 03:44 PM

WOO HOOOOO thank you boys. The car is fixed now. i found the fuse under some plastic cover. it was a 10 amp fuse. I think this fuse was used for brake, handbrake and discpad brakes and also the speedo meter as well. everything is working as normal and the speedo meter is working as well. you boys are genius. i actually rang mercedes car dealer and they said they will charge £100 an hour and parts would be added to the price. you boys saved me a fortune. Thanks very very much boys,
10000000 hugies n kisess xxxxxxxx[sm=happybounce.gif]

Old 12-21-2006, 03:49 PM

i just got one more little problem boys. my instrumental panel is not bright enough. The Rev meter on the far right and the car temperature meter on the far left have their lights behind them and they light up but i think the light bulb behind the speedometer is fused, its so dim. i tried brightening up the panel using the button on the instrumental panel, its at maximum and still the brightness is not enough, i can barely see the speedometer.
any suggestions. is there any fuse for the light bulb behind the speedometer. i don't know if its the light bulb or something else causing it.
thanks boys..and once again for your earlier fix suggestions to my car.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

the bulb must be busted if a certain area is not lighted.

if the light is even, then it can be the rheostat not working...only you can tell.

if it got wheels or *********, it can surely give you problem.