General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

alarm problems

Old 12-07-2003, 10:25 AM
Default alarm problems

can anyone tell me how to disable the alarm on this car 1993 300e sometimes the car will start other times it wont.

Old 12-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Default alarm problems

I don't know about disabling the alarm but my mom has a 94 E420 with alarm problems as well. When hers won't start she locks the doors with the key and then unlocks with the key, car starts, I know it's a pain but maybe someone can tell us how the disable the alarm.

Old 12-22-2003, 12:04 PM
Default alarm problems

I just picked up a 500 SEL and it too has the annoying factory <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN>. I have about $6000 worth of sound system to put in it and a great <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN> with pager and remote start. before I bought this thing I was unaware it had an <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN> and now I'm pissed cuz I dont know how I'm going to put in mine with the existing factory one. I'm sort of under the impression that there may not be an "<SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN> module" per say, all the door locks and switches and stuff probably go to a box, that manages unlocking and everything, this probably does <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN> too. So just unpluging this would keep everything relating to door locks and such from working. One thing that seemed promising in the book was that there is a "master key" for the car (key with a red dot on it). According to the book if you unlock the doors with this key it turns the <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN> system off. I will post if I get anywhere with this. my guess is that there is something slightly different about this key that turns a switch to tell the system to not use the <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN>. Finding this wire and permanently grounding it or however it works should permanently disable the factory <SPAN class=highlight>alarm</SPAN>. Again I'll post more when I figure it out myself. I'm sort of a rip it apart and do it yourself kinda guy, as long as I'm not a risk of blowing up the factory computer I dont mind playing with wiring. If I'm at risk here somebody stop me. But I've done this alot before.</P>

Old 01-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Default alarm problems

I just bought an '87 420, and it has some annoying alarm issues. After a couple of times when the alarm kept going off, I decided to stop using the red dot key. The guy that sold it to me had 2 red dot keys, one square head key with no red dot, and the round valet key. The red dot keys activate the alarm, but the others do not. If you are going to get another alarm, I would think you would be fine as long as you don't use the red dot key.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Default alarm problems

Going back to the original question ...</P>

I'm not certain I understand your question, especially judging by some of thediscussions, but I seemed to have had such a problem. The first time it happened,I got out and locked the doors with the remote, reopened, then got in and it started okay (short version since I spent about 15 minutes fartin' around trying stuff). I was thinking somethinggot confused and needed to berebooted just like Windows.The second time it happened, I did the routine,but nothing. It wouldn't start. I got mad and thumped the steering wheel. When I tried again, it started. The third time it happened, I turned the steering and it started right up. My problem was the steering wheel lock. I'm not talking about it beingbound up, but turned just enough sothat something electrical doesn't connect/disconnect to allow a start. Again, I'm not sure I'm addressing your question, but there you go nonetheless.</P><edited><editID>Lugnut</editID><editDate>37994.3202199074</editDate></edited>

Old 01-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Default alarm problems

Ok, I've looked into this a little and found that there is a wire inside the door that send a signal to the alarm brain weather to activate or not. The red dot key is suppose to activate this. Simply unhooking this wire from the 2 front doors AND TRUNK will allow the alarm to never arm itself. you can lock and unlock and drivve with piece of mind that the system is never arm'd also you can go ahead and start installing your own alarm. First remove the interior door pannel. This was a bit of a trick of getting 2 screws out of the arm rest, then screws out of the door handle. then the inside piece slides up and away from the door. The wire is a little hard to describe. But basically there are 3 bundles going along the bottom inside edge of the door in the direction of the key. one is black with 3 wires inside (this is the door lock and unlock wires) one is a yellow tube, this is the vacume line for actually pushing or pulling up the door lock mechanism (DONT CUT INTO THIS) the third line had sortof a white fabric coating on it and if you follow it, it goes way up(hard to reach) to a round quick disconnect. Just pull this connector apart and let it hang and you now have no alarm on that door. I'm sure the trunk looks similar but I havent gotten there yet. Remember that if you dont disconnect the trunk wire and lock the car with the trunk and then go to open it with the front door even if you use the red dot key the alarm will go off until you unlock from the trunk. ANYWAY!! the problem I'm having now is to just get under the dash to the key wires for remote start install. HELP ON THAT if you can.

Old 01-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Default alarm problems

Why not just retire the red dot key and call it a day?

Old 02-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Default RE: alarm problems

just unplug the connector at front passaager seat under the carpet, 1 screw , take out the black plastic cover, you will see a 6"x8" black module bosch or becker on it, there are 2 connector on the side lot of wire, unplug, will never work again, this will not effect the dirving at all, Now you have a great day. No body will steel MB, I never lock my car for last 15 years.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:30 PM

I have a 1989 560sl that the alarm has started going off and can't be turned off with the key. The power antenna quit working as it want go up when you turn on the switch key so I raised it up manualy and un pluged it. Now when it rains the alarm goes off and want quit. Where is the alarm control located ? Is it under the dash behind glove box.? I looked under carpet on passenger side floor board and did not see an access point for any thing there. I did un-hook the horn under the hood so now thai is not driveing me crazy but the the lights flash. I have a blown fuse and left head lamp is out on dim so it may be part of problem. The becker radio tap player quit and want eject a tape or play so I cant use it but the radio plays fine except for the power antenna problem.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM

The controller on my '87 is behind the glove box liner. Pull the liner and you should see it.

Bob