General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

2005 twin supercharged CLK55

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 10:54 PM
Default 2005 twin supercharged CLK55

I was wondering if you guys could help me out on something? im a member of another forum and there is a guy that just started posting in there , anyway he said he owns a 2005 clk55 twin supercharged amg benz - is this possible ? i can understand a twin turbo but a twin supercharged? i never heard of such a thing. have you guys? can this be done? this is how he said it was done.

Quote:

You are correct. My mistake. Apparently it was two different mercedes superchargers both the same model #

ok well I dled this picture but I can show you where each supercharger is located.

Notice (1) That is the air intake on a stock 05 CLK55 AMG (same on right side, not shown)
Notice (2) That is the air intake tube, on my setup it makes an immediate 90* angle downward on both sids to meet with the compressor.
Notice (3) The kompressors are located in this area on both sides in my setup. Metal piping, i don't know what size is then used to return the pressurized air to the engine where unimmaginable forces of thrust is created. I used an elongated serpentine belt to connect the pulleys.

Long story short. IT WORKS, WELL.

The left kompressor is more efficient because that is where the SL55 kompressor was set up to be. Since the right one has less space the tubing has many bends to be able to fit. Still worth the effort.

To answer your question, I do not know, I have heard of mixing supercharger and turbo on top fuel drag/ pro cars, and possibly one mustang. Twin turbo would be the best bet but make one of them smaller to give the low end boost and the larger one will spool in the power band.

If you are limited with space I suppose you could stack the superchargers on one side and route the piping accordingly.

Sorry to thread jack

one more answer, I am 18 End Quote -

he posted a pic of a engine , but it was real small - couldn't even see one supercharger.

so is this B.S ? thanks guys

Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2005 twin supercharged CLK55

it's an 8 cyl engine and no kompressor in the first place. manual transmission is not even available on this model.

too tight a space for CLK engine compartment although it can be distributed evenly.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:10 AM

so it is possible that he has twin superchargers?

Old 02-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

very possible, but then it's not easy to separate the left and right intake port because of the manifold design.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Some children should just keep off mommy's computer and watch cartoons on TV instead.

Being 18-years-old, I'd say he didn't do the conversion. That means AMG did it, which they don't. The aftermarket couldn't do something like that early in the same year as the car was produced. Neither AMG nor the aftermarket companies would engineer a V-motor with one efficient bank and one inefficient bank. Twin-turbos overcome a physical limitation that doesn't exist for superchargers. You ever hear of "supercharger lag."

Only an 18-year-old moron would buy such a car if it existed. It might work on a Hot Wheels car. Maybe that's what it is and why the pic was so small? This is a prime example of an over-engineered product that exists only in the mind of a teenager. A Rube Goldberg-type of design.

The math just doesn't add up. This is an extraordinary claim, which requires extraordinary evidence. Ask him to provide some. That will probably chase him off to an AOL chat room about Britney Spears.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:50 PM

thanks guys. welll he came back with this as a reply

Quote:Like I said before, hard earned wages to pay for my girl. Now think about this guys, how the hell would I afford a CLK55 AMG and twins. I wouldn't. My parents bought it all for me. All $80,000 for the car and $10,000 for the twin supercharger setup. It is possible and I will have to post a sound clip so you can hear them whine.

Lingenfelter makes a twin turbo setup for vettes, I had two superchargers that I wanted to put into my benz. Two seperate intake hoses, connected to two superchargers after the air filter and cooled by a mercedes intercooler. It was a job to put it in but for 10K...It can be done.

My parents bought the car so I wouldn't buy a bike HA. I bought the bike anyway.

Any more questions. I try to answer a question and this is what I get.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:40 PM

Tell him to ask his mommy to buy him a digital camera so he can take some real pics.

What the heck do Lingenfelter's (may he RIP) twin-turbo setups have to do with some kids dreamed up twin-supercharger setup?

This guy is really full of it. You can "do" anything when you hide behind a keyboard.

Who did the install and what is their phone number? The kid did it himself? Yeah, right.

Show me some pics. Some with the hood up and the engine running.

Next time, I'll post a sound clip of me cutting cheese. So what.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:20 PM

here is the thread - he came up with a excuse why he cant take any pics.

link

Old 02-08-2005, 03:53 PM

What? His daddy can't take a few pics for us? Maybe his daddy has no arms? What about his mommy? Is she blind? A rich fellow like that surely has his own camera and if he lost his arms in the Vietnam War he can have his manservant take the pics for him.

College in Virginia? I'll bet he works at Burger King because he dropped out of high school. He couldn't pass Auto Shop and flunked out.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=burnout.gif] well, sometimes it's not bad to dream of something... and that was a good one.

other boys were talking about the small restaurant tips, and he was far more than that.