General Tech Post general Mercedes Tech questions here.

Rusting doors on 2002 S500

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Default Rusting doors on 2002 S500

I own a 2002, S500 with 85K miles on it. Since I have had it, I have had to replece the main instrument cluster (on warranty) and most recently the alternator last December. When the alternator quit on a trip down south, I had to have the vehicle towed on a ramp truck. I noticed when the car was on the truck, that both front doors were severly rusted at the bottoms for their entire length. It should be noted that the car doesn't get much exposure to snow or salt treated roads.

I was able to locate a shop that did body work (sanding, repainting and new trim molding) for about $560. Upon completion of the job, the guy told me that the trim that is located at the bottom of both doors is allowing water to get inside the door itself and cause the rust. He told me that I was lucky in the sense that the rust hadn't yet rusted completely through the door, otherwise I would have to have the entire door(s) replaced. He went on to show me that both rear doors are showing signs of rust also, and advised me to have them repaired when I got home.

I would advise readers to check the bottoms of their doors for signs of early rusting and address the problem as soon as possible.

When I purchased the car in 2005 with 43K miles on it, I expected the vehicle to be reliable, but I find myself very disappointed with the Mercedes product I am very interested if this rusting problem is common to other owners of 2002 S500 owners, or am I just unlucky?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM
Default RE: Rusting doors on 2002 S500

Yep,
Widespread problem.
Lack of adequate process control in the factory. Some vehicles exhibit a problem, others are fine.
In the UK MB UK tell the customer that it is because SALT is used on the roads and the owner fails to wash the car regularly enough!!
However despite my own best efforts I gave up with MB UK. They accepted my reasoning but basically said TOUGH!. In 2000 the vehicle only had 1 year warranty.
As a consequence of this disastrous episode in MB history a 30 year warranty is now part of the UK Warranty programme. However when you understand how the promise works its not what it seems...but is anything nowadays!
Stuart.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:46 AM
Banned

They had a TSB on this model as far as rust build-up in doors.

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-14-2008, 01:18 AM

Hi,

Got a copy of the S Class TSB please?
Stuart

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Banned

Sure...but don't show it to MBUSA or UK...oops!!!!!!!!!

Campaign No. 2005030003 April 2005
Revised May 2005

FILE:
SERVICE:
GROUP 00 OF SERVICE INFORMATION BINDER

PARTS:
GROUP I OF INFORMATION _ PARTS & ACCESSORIES BINDER

TO: ALL MERCEDES-BENZ CENTERS
SUBJECT:
MODELS 203/209/220
SEAL LOWER STRIP ON DOORS

This revised Service Campaign bulletin 2005030003 supercedes previously issued Service Campaign bulletin 2005030003 released in April 2005. It contains updated warranty information to allow the repair of noticeable corrosion under certain conditions. Please destroy all previous Service Campaign bulletin versions.
This Service Campaign has been initiated because DCAG has determined that on the affected vehicles (see VIN range) the seal at the bottom of the doors may be insufficient and requires additional sealing material.
Please review the Effective Serial Number chart and if necessary repair the subject vehicles during the vehicle's next service.
Prior to performing this Service Campaign:

^
Please check VMI to insure the vehicle is involved and to determine if the vehicle has been previously repaired.

^
Please review the entire Service Campaign bulletin.

Approximately 212,885 vehicles are affected.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Hi,

So what is the affected VIN range? / model years? 212k vehicles!!

Stuart.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

I don't want to get in trouble coz some of these are "classified" information...

take care,
-mar-

Old 03-14-2008, 10:20 PM

"When the alternator quit on a trip down south" Funny because last summer on my drive down to my place in Florida the same thing happined on my 2002 E320. Well it didnt die the warning light on the screen in red appeared and I knew it wouldnt make it back to New York.

Old 03-17-2008, 10:08 PM
Banned

Replace the voltage regulator. 99% of the time it the brushes that wears out, and it's cheaper...

take care,
-mar-

Old 04-14-2010, 12:04 AM
Default Rust on all 4 doors 2002 S500 (5 yr old car)

I notice rust on 1 door on my 5 year old car, brought it to the Littleton, CO MB Dealer and they basically told me to take it back to the Murray Motors Imports, Denver, CO MB Dealer where the car was previously purchased. Upon taking it back to Murray Motors Imports MB they notified me that all four doors had rust and since my warranty had expired it wasn't covered. However, since I was a repeat MB owner they would like to work with me and help cover some of the cost of replacing the doors or fixing them depending on how bad the rust was in each door. Total est. cost $2000 where they would pay 50%. I think this is nonsense. You don't buy a $90k car and 5 years later have rust, I live in a mountain state where salt is not used on the roads, and the weeping holes got clogged causing water to sit inside the door and rust from the inside out. I didn't get it fixed at the time.

6 months later I receive an email from the MB Used Car Manager asking me to bring my car in, they would like to look at it and see if I would be willing to sell it back to them, they were looking for used S500's with low miles, 36k. Upon showing him my car, he likes it and then he notices the rust and says, "I have never seen this before in all my years selling cars and we are not interested in buying my car,...have good day."

4 months later I'm at the dentist and the dental hygienist says her husband works for MB Corp. I teller her my story and give her my business card to have her husband call me. I write on the back of my card make, model, and problem. No response.

Since the car is out of warranty, and I am frustrated with MB, I am talking to a buddy who is on his 2nd or 3rd MB and he referrers me to his authorized MB service guy. He tells me MB had a "Campaign" not a "Recall" on the rusting doors but it has expired.

Never the less, I got the doors fixed but not by MB.

This is the 2nd MB's I've owned; the 1st was a 2000 ML 430 which I had for 18 months and it was in the MB shop for varies mechanical reasons or interior problems 13x.

Do you think I really want buy another Mercedes Benz?

Let me tell you, when I had my Cadillac, the service I received from Rickenbaugh Cadillac Denver, CO was excellent. Something I would have expected from MB.

Quick Reply: Rusting doors on 2002 S500