Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   Very very slow until 60mph, then zoom (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/very-very-slow-until-60mph-then-zoom-3298/)

unclegreaser 12-29-2004 12:07 AM

Very very slow until 60mph, then zoom

i have a 1985 300d turbo, automatic, 220,00 miles. from 0 to 60 it takes about fourty seconds, then it takes off. if i leave it in first then second and then drive, holding the rpm's higher it is slightly faster but still very very slow.

i have changed all the fluids and filters. turbo spins with acceleration

thanks for your thoughts

sleepwalker 12-29-2004 01:21 AM

RE: Very very slow until 60mph, then zoom

have you done good maintenance lately?

air filter?
fuel filter and pre-filter?

pberku 12-29-2004 02:32 AM

Check your accelerator linkages, and cables for too much slack. Make sure that when you press the accelerator pedal, it activates the fuel pump correctly.

Phil

unclegreaser 12-30-2004 12:31 AM

this is a new to me car handed down thru a relative

sleepwalker: i replaced and changed every and all fluids and filters in the motor, tranny.

pberku: yes i checked the cable and it does the same if i control the unit by hand. fuel pressure is good and injectors, banjo bolt and so on have no clogs.

i feel like i'm missing something. if this was a carbureted motor it feels like it was running way to rich. i am not familiar with diesel much

thanks if you have further clues or ideas

pberku 12-30-2004 01:56 AM

A few questions and three suggestions.

a) What do you mean when you say "... than it takes off"

b) What do you mean when you say "pberku: yes i checked the cable and it does the same if i control the unit by hand"? What unit did you control by hand?

c) Apart from the loss of power issue, are there any other symptoms, ie: hard start, rough idle, exhaust smoke, (If yes, what color), etc., etc..

Suggestions:

1) Do you know how far back in time/milage the valve where adjusted on this car? If the valves are out of adjustment they can create (amongst many other symptoms) a low compression condition, causing considerable loss of power, and resulting in the symptoms that you describe. If you don't know when they were last adjusted, have them adjusted properly.

2) At that milage your timing chain should have either been checked and adjusted, and/or replaced. Do you know if this was done? If not, have the chain strech checked, and if necessary the timing chain replaced. The timing may be way off,

3) Look closely again at your fuel injector pump, and make sure that when the accelerator pedal is fully depressed, that it does actually activate the injector pump to maximum. [DO THIS WITH THE ENGINE OFF

Let us know what you find

Phil

mespe 12-30-2004 10:54 PM

Could be several things,,,

1) Change your fuel filters lately? Both of them
2) Check your linkage Any slop???
3) Check the boost lines? (from the turbo is a boost line sorta like a vacuum line) if it's clogged, the IP will never inject enough fuel.
4) If boost lines clean, maybe an ALDA adjustment is in order.

Good luck