Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Vacuum pump failure caused by weak seal on fuel injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Default Vacuum pump failure caused by weak seal on fuel injectors?

I have a 1995 300E Diesel. A year ago I had the fuel system upgraded for the new diesel fuels. This summer my vacuum pump broke and the ball bearings shot out of the case and went into the various places in the car - did not damage the engine. However, simultaneously I have been told that the injectors are leaking fuel on the exterior and the seating for the injectors needs to be rebored and fitted with new seals. Could the vacuum pump have broke from being over worked from the compression problem of the injectors? I had a new vacuum pump put on and suposedly they found all the loose bearings, but now the car is making grinding noises when it accelerates and the smell of diesel fuel is very strong. Help!

Old 08-17-2007, 10:12 PM
Default RE: Vacuum pump failure caused by weak seal on fuel injectors?

vac pump failure was a common fault
bosh injectors very robust and rarely leak through body probably leak off pipes leaking
leak off pipes are small flexi hose comming from fuel filter to 1st injector then linking to each injector inturn very common for fuel to seep
through giving heavy smell very inexspensive to replace

Old 08-18-2007, 12:01 AM
Default RE: Vacuum pump failure caused by weak seal on fuel injectors?

Not sure if this helps much but-

There's a leak in my vacuum system somewhere that causes my automatic locks to not work (1975 300D, automatic locks powered by vacuum pump). The vacuum pump failed like 2 weeks after I bought this car a year and a half ago. It actually basically broke completely in half, believe it or not. I had it replaced, and though I never fixed the leak, it hasn't failed at all since. Not sure if this loosely applies to your situation, being that my pump basically is always being asked to replenish pressure every waking moment of the car. But I know the durability of these cars has changed substantially in the past 20 years.