Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Vacuum Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM
Arrow Vacuum Dilemna

hello everyone,
this will be my first post.
about two months ago I acquired an 82 300D with about 196,000 mi. As I have been learning more about these cars I realize I certainly paid way to much for it.
oh well it's mine now!

So far I have replaced 2 glow plugs, done a few diesel purges and adjusted the valves. I have found extensive rust in the floor boards and huge holes have started to open up. The guy i bought it from was really sly about covering up all the rust and holes. I have to let that go though I don't need an ulcer :-)

I have done other little things as well for the interior lights etc.

My question is this, the hose leading from the vacuum pump has a white circular disk on it with the two output valves. I broke both of mine off. :-( Currently the vacuum system is not hooked up to anything, except I guess the brakes.

what to do? can I drill the holes bigger to put in new plastic valves?
do I have to find the white circle disk part? eeek.

thanks for all of your help and interest

Old 05-31-2013, 08:14 PM

The larger part of that Plastic Valve is the Check Valve for the Power Brake booster so it is not a good idea to mess with that.

When I broke Mine (I leaned on it during My first Oil Change) I was able to carefully superglue the Nipples back on. Don't get the Glue into the inside of the nipple as I believe they are specifically sized inside.

So that Glue is not going to hold the Nipple by themselves.

I took some longer Vacuum Hose and shoved it carefully over the Nipples and I made sort of a Cast of JB Weld Epoxy over the Vacuum Hose end that is stuck on the Nipples out a little more than the Nipples would stick out and also on the Valve Body. That prevents it from breaking off easily.
I did that over 4 years ago.

However, the ultimate fix is to pay for a complete new Vacuum Line. If you save $3.50 a Month before a year passes you can have a new Vacuum Line.

I also did something else later. I replaced the hard Plastic Tubing of the Line from the Vacuum Pump to that Check Valve with Rubber Emissions Hose. I made it longer so I could run the line over the Fender Well more; and that keeps it out of the way and I can on longer easily lean on it.

I was supposed to buy a new Vacuum Line Myself but never have as it works and I do not care about how it looks.

Old 06-01-2013, 10:43 AM

Thanks for your reply :-)

I did something that may cause some purists to cringe, but it's working so far.

I don't know which one was the larger one. I tried to epoxy them, and it didn't work very well, then I ended up throwing the nipples down a drain, by accident of course so I was left with little to work with.

Now for the cringing part, I drilled out the holes with an old fashioned hand drill to accommodate the vacuum lines, they fit in there snugly.

I don't have the transmission hooked up to the vacuum now, because it is operating smoother with out being hooked on.

The fuel cut off actually works better now, the car turns right off, it never did that before.

so I will keep my fingers crossed and read some more.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Odd; your Transmission must be different from mine.
I accidently disconnected the Vacuum Line at the Transmission Modulator when I was doing somthing else and I went for a drive. So no Vacuum made it to the Transmission.

My Transmission up shifted about the sams as it did with the Vacuum connected but the down shifts were really harsh?.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Odd; your Transmission must be different from mine.
I accidently disconnected the Vacuum Line at the Transmission Modulator when I was doing somthing else and I went for a drive. So no Vacuum made it to the Transmission.

My Transmission up shifted about the sams as it did with the Vacuum connected but the down shifts were really harsh?.