Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Starting to worry about Mercedes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Default Starting to worry about Mercedes

Hello everyone, so like the title says, I am really starting to worry about Mercedes quality especially when it comes to their transmissions, because ... well let me explain.
I have or still have 3 different Mercedeses (?) over the last couple years, I had then sold a 1967 240s or something like that, still have an 82 380sl, and still have my 85 300cd, all of them have had tranny issues from the start. People keep saying I need to get the trannies rebuilt but, I think and pray that it has to be something else, maybe something related to vacuum or something else because 3 out of 3 mercedes needing a tranny rebuild? actually its more like 4 out of 4 because I had a buddy who had a mid 80s 450sl and his tranny was "slipping" to.
So I am trying to find out what else could be causing all my trannies to slip, because it is really hard for me to believe that every tranny needs a rebuild especially when some of them don't have even 200k on them yet.
All the trannies are experiencing the same kind of thing, slipping to different degrees but mostly only feel it in the first couple gears and its a lot more noticable when the car has not yet warmed up, I have tried the additives and the sea foam and the cleaning and the ... But have yet not tried a rebuild, because honestly if they all need rebuilt then Mercedes must have dropped the ball on their trannies.
So can anyone tell me what else could be doing this and try to re assure me of Mercedes quality, thanks

Old 09-03-2012, 08:36 PM

and your saying that will just fix the problem? or make it a little better? I want it to work as it should you know.

Old 09-04-2012, 06:59 PM

Hi Xuno_gil,

I have an 83, 300D I bought just over a week ago. One of the things I've managed to make a noticeable improvment on is the way the tranny shifts using the following info:

Diesel Vacuum system adjustments
Mercedes-Benz Transmission, Steve Brotherton, ImportCar, February 2002

Mine wasn't slipping but was slamming into the next gear on upshifts. These articles helped me and the second one does talk about slipping.