Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Sourced the fuel leak

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default Sourced the fuel leak

Today I sourced a fuel leak that I noticed a few months ago. It was near the engine, but I didn't expect it to be coming from a mechanical component versus an assumption of a cracked line. Fuel's gathering at the top of a flat piece of silver metal with brass colored objects sticking out and is dripping down the engine and onto the bottom of the car. Can someone help me identify what this deviceis and what I could do to fix it?

The first image is a close up and the othertwo are just to point out location in the engine compartment.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Default RE: Sourced the fuel leak

Looks like the fuel distributorat the top of yourinjection pump. You can try carefully tightening each of the the injector lines. Using a line wrench, carefully tighten each of the brass-colored fittings protruding from the top of the unit- one or more may beloose. No Hercules action needed; easy does it. It's tight quarters in there, so be patient if you are using regular-length hand wrenches.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

That's what I figured it was, but didn't want to mess with anything without verifying. Will do that tommorow morning and see what happens. Earlier I cleaned the bottom of the car completely of the diesel, took a look into the engine compartment, then looked underneath again and the bottom was completely soaked. What a fire hazard and a waste of fuel. I appreciate the help.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

No luck, the space is just too small to even get my whole hand into. When I have some time in early April I might take the air filter box offand work from there...

Old 03-14-2007, 08:17 PM

I think there is a special M-B tool that is used to tighten these. If memory serves it kinda looks like an oxygen sensor tool - a 3/8" drive socket that is open on the side to allow the fuel line to pass through. Maybe the local stealership would let you borrow it for an hour or so? Best to get that leak stopped ASAP, especially at $2.89 a gallon.

If you know what a "crow foot" wrench is you might want to give that a try, but go easy so you don'tmess up the line fittings.