Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   Replacing 1977 300d fuel shutoff solenoid question (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/replacing-1977-300d-fuel-shutoff-solenoid-question-53330/)

300Diesel77 05-16-2013 03:42 PM

Replacing 1977 300d fuel shutoff solenoid question

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
When replacing a fuel shutoff solenoid on a 1977 300D, can the plate with 4 screws with a solenoid on the top side of the injection pump just left of the shutoff solenoid be removed without problems? I'm thinking if this plate can come off there will be a clear view of how the shutoff solenoid arm hooks in. Everything works vacuum wise on the car. Hand held vac pump indicates shutoff solenoid holds no vacuum at all with test line connected, and engine will not shutoff. No vac line was ever connected to the solenoid on the top of plate, looking like a ALDA control.

Thanks

300Diesel77 05-16-2013 06:01 PM

I know that the fuel shutoff is held in by 2 or 4 screws on the end of the pump. However I was trying to get a better view of how the arm fit back in to avoid a full throttle situation.
Maybe I'm over thinking it, there is a limited space to get the new shutoff in between the oil filter housing. Any advise in getting it put back in the proper place would be great if the cover is not to be moved causing problems or not. Using a hand vac to draw the arm shorter has been suggested in other instructions. DieselGiant show some instruction but the last pic you can't really see good that shows the cover plate moved to see inside.

Thanks

300Diesel77 05-17-2013 08:12 AM

Thanks. Replacement shutoff being shipped. Will post results when installed.

Diesel9112 05-17-2013 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 300Diesel77 (Post 162872)
I know that the fuel shutoff is held in by 2 or 4 screws on the end of the pump. However I was trying to get a better view of how the arm fit back in to avoid a full throttle situation.
Maybe I'm over thinking it, there is a limited space to get the new shutoff in between the oil filter housing. Any advise in getting it put back in the proper place would be great if the cover is not to be moved causing problems or not. Using a hand vac to draw the arm shorter has been suggested in other instructions. DieselGiant show some instruction but the last pic you can't really see good that shows the cover plate moved to see inside.

Thanks

If for some reason you do remove the Cover here is a Pic of what a properly installed one would look like.

300Diesel77 05-18-2013 12:26 AM

Thanks Diesel9112 for the pic. Can removing the top cover as in your pic cause any problem on 1977 300d . Also what is the vac solenoid on the top of the cover plate in question also shown in my first post image. It never had a vac line to it, is it connected inside?, newer model turbos 81-84s I believe its called the ALDA which has something to do with the trans.

300Diesel77 05-21-2013 01:40 PM

Fuel shutoff success! No need to take cover off. Pic from Diesel9112 was helpful, was able to look in end of pump with a mirror and locate area better. It is a bit tricky finding the right spot to hook valve. I used the handheld vac pump to retract arm position valve into place. Let off some vac and the arm extended abit and you can feel once it is hooked in apply some vac and the unit pulls itself into position with a small amount of resistance, put the 4 bolts back in. Just as a precaution I had removed the air cleaner to snuff engine incase of run away. Thanks diesel9112 and forcedinduction.

Diesel9112 05-22-2013 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by 300Diesel77 (Post 162935)
Fuel shutoff success! No need to take cover off. Pic from Diesel9112 was helpful, was able to look in end of pump with a mirror and locate area better. It is a bit tricky finding the right spot to hook valve. I used the handheld vac pump to retract arm position valve into place. Let off some vac and the arm extended abit and you can feel once it is hooked in apply some vac and the unit pulls itself into position with a small amount of resistance, put the 4 bolts back in. Just as a precaution I had removed the air cleaner to snuff engine incase of run away. Thanks diesel9112 and forcedinduction.

Instead of using the Hand Held Vac Pump some People have rectracted the Arm manually and held it there while they put their their Thumb or a Vacuum Cap over the Hose Nipple on the Vacuum Shutoff Valve.
If you have a good Vacuum Shutoff Valve the Arm will stay retrtacted till the Hose Nipple is opend.