Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

peanut oil

Old 08-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Default peanut oil

I have a new source for WVO (not bio), that is using peanut oil in their fryers. The previous "user" declined the peanut oil because of the pH. What are the risks of using this in a 300D? Is the pH a concern for WVO, or not?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:47 AM

PH is a HUGE concern.. In short, veggie oil turns acidic with use. Would you want to put acid in your fuel tank?

Old 08-27-2009, 12:05 PM

Years ago I went to the County Fair and they were using Peanut Oil to make the best Frehch Fries I have ever had; and I think that is the best use for it to.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:59 PM

Well, I have been running filtered WVO for over a year now, and have seen no problems, other than clogged filters. Of course, I can't see the internal components of the engine. I guess that what I am asking is whether or not peanut oil is any worse than other types of WVO. George Washington Carver is from my hometown. He is credited with making more discoveries of alternate uses for peanuts than anyone in history. Not that it really matters. :-)

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 AM

All debates aside on whether you should/shouldn't, can/can't, do/will never run some variety of VO, WVO, or WMO in your car:

There aren't any huge differences between the oils... The acidity mostly comes from how much it is used, and somewhat what has been cooked in it... Finding out how hard they use the oil, and how often they change it woudl be a good start.. A cheapo PH tester of some sort woudl be ideal..

When I started burning the stuff years ago I tested every batch I collected.. Eventually I got to learn whose oil was more acidic than others.. I still spot check from time to time.. AS the oil sits around it can become more acidic to a degree as well...

Anything less than a 5 on the ph scale is getting a bit too acidic for my taste and goes into the waste oil furnace... Short of making bio I haven;t found a magic bullet to adjust the ph on wvo..

Your filter clogging issues sound rather concerning though... How often are you having this happen? How are you pre filtering it before you put it in the car? Are you running a 2 tank system, just dumping it in the diesel tank, or blending with something?

Now to fuel the debate again, I just bought a 300D this afternoon that is DOA after a tad less than 10,000 miles on WVO.. Allegedly a bad IP but I don;t know at this point... My one 81 VW has about 40,000 miles on WVO, and recently some WMO mixed in there.. The other VW is at 193,000 miles on WVO and runs the same as always..

$28,000 to run 400,000 miles on diesel at the current price, or $12,000 to run 200,000 miles on WVO & Diesel at current prices..... I think I can replace an engine for $16,000....

Last edited by maxfax3; 08-28-2009 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 01:46 AM

rover1, are you going back in time when Rudolf Diesel used peanut oil to run his engines?

How much is peanut oil per gallon in the US?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:36 AM

Illegal? I glanced at the EPA link, and didn't see specific info indicating that WVO is illegal to run in a vehicle.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That doesn't matter at all since its completely illegal.
So was getting head in 10 states and Puerto Rico before 2003.. I doubt that stopped anyone...

BUT, all the various oils have not been classified as a fuel by the epa.. ANd alot of states have not classified them as a fuel for tax purposes...

On the state level (for most states) if you keep track of what you burn, and pay the road tax on it you're okay on that level.. For example, Pennsylvania does see it as a fuel, but not an alternative fuel.. Meaning one should keep track of how many gallons they burn, and pay the higher road tax quarterly... On the federal level you may be killing dolphins with your horrible wvo emissions, but they don;t know yet, so don;t run the stuff and buy oil...

Realistically other than regular people that have nothing better to do, there isn;t much enforcement in place..

Anymore the price of the commercially available 2 tank systems, a bio setup is the way to go.. If you can build your own system that's a different story.. If you're just dumping it in the tank, or mixing it with diesel/gasoline/whatever, I'll see your car cheap on Craigslist...

Last edited by maxfax3; 08-28-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Just because a few law-breakers do it doesn't make it acceptable for everyone else.

Murder is illegal in all 50 states, yet every day there are hundreds of people that do it.
Indeed, but which is easier to track down and enforce?? Albeit the margin is small in some situations... As with the earlier mentioned scenario those laws bit the dust for a reason.. Although I'm not knolegable about marijuana like some, that tide is changing as well... You'll figure it out someday kiddo....

But for now as this is neaither the topic of this thread nor a real pertinent topic for this forum lets move on to some useful information....

Last edited by maxfax3; 08-29-2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:10 PM

The best way to get around the whole legality of vegetable oil being a fuel is to have the 2 tank conversion system; thus allowing you to start the vehicle using bio-diesel or diesel fuel then switching over to run on vegetable oil. This way the vegetable oil is considered a fuel additive making it legal to use. The EPA say vegetable oil is not a recognized fuel; but does recognize it as an fuel additive. Also the road taxes issues are taken care of by means of purchasing bio-diesel or diesel.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: peanut oil