Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   OM617 Oil Cooler (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/om617-oil-cooler-42984/)

jlguler 06-08-2010 06:03 PM

OM617 Oil Cooler

Hello,
One of my oil cooler lines is leaking where the rubber is crimped to the steel. I bought an aftermarket oil cooler because the cooler and the lines were not much more than one replacement hose for the stock cooler. Does anyone know what thread the fittings are that thread into the oil filter housing and go to the oil cooler lines? I need to get adapter fittings because the new cooler has A/N fittings. Thanks in advance.....

John

jlguler 06-19-2010 10:36 PM

Oil Cooler

I installed the aftermarket oil cooler on the OM617 Jeep tonight. I know you said the factory one is better Forced, but the threads where the lines connect to the original oil cooler was stripped, and it was leaking where the rubber is crimped to the steel line. I didn't have the funds to buy a factory OM617 cooler, couldn't find a reasonably priced used one either. I bought adapter fittings from Mcmaster-Carr to adapt from the 18mm X 1.5 thread to the 3/4-16 JIC the new cooler lines have. The new cooler is wider than the factory one, but not as long, so I mounted it behind the grill in front of the radiator.(I had the factory cooler mounted up under the bumper, I cut out part of the splash guard to allow airflow). Fired it up, no leaks........

John

Diesel9112 06-20-2010 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by jlguler (Post 137589)
I installed the aftermarket oil cooler on the OM617 Jeep tonight. I know you said the factory one is better Forced, but the threads where the lines connect to the original oil cooler was stripped, and it was leaking where the rubber is crimped to the steel line. I didn't have the funds to buy a factory OM617 cooler, couldn't find a reasonably priced used one either. I bought adapter fittings from Mcmaster-Carr to adapt from the 18mm X 1.5 thread to the 3/4-16 JIC the new cooler lines have. The new cooler is wider than the factory one, but not as long, so I mounted it behind the grill in front of the radiator.(I had the factory cooler mounted up under the bumper, I cut out part of the splash guard to allow airflow). Fired it up, no leaks........

John

What did the whole thing cost? And, can you post the Mcmaster-Carr part numbers for the fittings.

Don't thorw away the original Oil Cooler there is a repair for the stripped Oil Cooler Nipple Threads.
In fact you can use use the 2 fittings you removed from the Oil Filter Housing.

You cut off the Threaded Portion of the Oil Cooler Nipples. Drill and Tap it for 18mmx1.5; Coat the 18mmx1.5 threads of the Fittings you removed from the Oil Filter with a little JB Weld Epoxy and let it cure. You now have a good Oil Cooler.

If you do not have our own repair Nipples Mercedes sells them. SCREWED NIPPLES 915013-013002

Now that I know that Mcmaster-Carr sells adapter fittings I can see another way to go. The original Oil cooler could have been tapped and drilled for 18mmx1.5 (this is one of the Spark Plug Thread sizes and eve OSH Hardware has the tap for around $13)
and you could have used a set of the Mcmaster-Carr adapter fittings on the Oil Cooler and a set on the Oil Filter housing with your 3/4 Oil Cooler Hose.

jlguler 06-20-2010 01:20 AM

Oil Cooler

The new oil cooler I purchased off E-bay. It was for an Acura, but the seller sells the same oil cooler for many different cars, it's the same cooler and lines, just a different oil filter adapter. The seller took $35 off the price because I did not need the oil filter adapter. It was about $85 including shipping for the oil cooler and two 4' braided steel lines. The adapter fittings are Mcmaster-Carr part # 4545K223, they are $11.16 each. They come with an O-ring and washer, they seal up really nice.

Happy Father's Day to all you dads......

John

jlguler 07-03-2010 09:20 AM

Oil Cooler

Good Morning,
Last night, one of the new oil cooler hoses started leaking right where the braided hose is connected to the steel fitting.

I just want to make everyone aware of this, the kit is not very old. Forced Induction jinxed me by saying the aftermarket was junk, (or maybe he knew something I didn't). Seriously though, I think it best to remove the thing altogether.

I only drive it in the city, never get going fast enough to move much air through it anyway. They make JIC caps, so I could just cap it.

Or I will repair the old oil cooler, I still have it in the garage. One of the original hoses was almost completely cracked at the barb fitting, I removed it just in time.

I have bad luck with oil coolers......

Have a safe fourth of July,
John

Diesel9112 07-03-2010 09:49 AM

I will PM you some repair links. In there is the Oil Cooler Repair and some Hose non-stock hose replacement stuff.

As far as Braided Hose goes I have not seen your setup so I am not sure how the Hoses are attached. But, Steel Braided Hoses should not be used with Hose clamps because the Hose Clamps are unable to put enough tension on them to seal well. (They might work for something like a Turbo Drain where there is little pressure in them.)

If they are Braided Hose and fittings that came from the factory or were made for you in a hose shop; It could be they are just defective or that they were not made to take 100 psi of Oil Pressure (at least in the past the oil pressure on most cars did not go that high).

The Nipples stripping when you remove the original Oil Cooler Hoses is common enough and happend to me.
The replacment Oil cooler lines built for the Factory set up hold up well with the exception I have read of new defective ones which can happen to anything manufactured.

jlguler 07-05-2010 11:11 AM

Oil Cooler

Thank You,
I appreciate it.
I contacted the seller of the item and he is going to send
me a new hose free of charge. He seemed surprised that the
hose failed. Maybe it was just a fluke, I will just replace the hose
and see how it goes.

Thanks for the repair info though, may come in handy in the future.

Regards,
John

Carjunkie666 04-23-2018 11:24 AM

So what sized fitting was it, for the oil filter housing to the oil cooler line can't find ****