Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Which Older Model 300 TD

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 04:06 AM
Default Which Older Model 300 TD

I'm a new member to the forum, but don't have a Mercedes yet! I figured I would start doing a little research with the experts on the forum.

I live in the Phoenix, AZ area and I'm looking for a 300 turbo diesel. It seems that models in the early to mid 80's are the most durable. Something about a cast iron engine block. When looking for a vehicle like that I'm like everyone else I guess. I want the perfect one, but that is rarely the way life works. I want a nice Mercedes that I can drive for several hundred thousand miles and not have to go into bankruptcy paying for repairs. I am fairly handy, but I can't do anything like rebuild an engine. However, maintenance and repair type things I can handle. Especially with forums like those available here.

Help me out guys. What should I be looking for and looking out for.

Thanks.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Default RE: Which Older Model 300 TD

Take a look at the STICKY above about which cars to buy and which to avoid. If you are not looking for a station wagon, than you would not be looking for a TD. If you are looking for a Diesel with a Turbo, than it would be a 300D T. I believe 81, it started to be an option for Turbo. You're budget plays a part to it as well. The closer to 1985, it usually gets to be more. I have had an 81 non-turbo and I currently own a 1978 non-turbo and I am quite pleased. The best thing to do is also test drive a few to get an idea how they drive. I never owned a diesel till I bought my 81. The engine was still going, but the body was shot. I had a problem with my steering box and a few other things and picked up my '78. Diesels aren't for everyone and the winter time is when the gremlins come out. Living in Arizona is a good thing for sure! Again, check out the STICKY and good luck!

Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 AM

it is a1985 sedan 4 dr 123 body style cream color engine is strong body is good with 3 or 4 spot under car that will need some attention in a little while I have replaced the following since I got it rt frnt caliper and rotor ,also just relaced fuel filters last week, replaced thermostat in january 07 just got 2 manuals for it 1 paperback ,1 cd version will come with car if you want them ,however I live on the East coast ,NC to be precise ,you cuold have it shipped there ,anyway hope to here from you soon

Old 04-25-2007, 08:10 AM

Gerry, what are you asking for it? How much mileage?