Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   Oil LeakS (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/oil-leaks-54940/)

300bodyman 08-09-2014 11:49 AM

Oil LeakS

Ive got one on the bottom of the oil cooler at the line.Main one im concerned about looks like its running down left side of block at the front Possible injection pump to block?? How bad a job to pull the pump to reseal it there or am I looking in the right place.Thanks.

Diesel9112 08-14-2014 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 300bodyman (Post 167169)
Ive got one on the bottom of the oil cooler at the line.Main one im concerned about looks like its running down left side of block at the front Possible injection pump to block?? How bad a job to pull the pump to reseal it there or am I looking in the right place.Thanks.

For Oil leaks it is best to degrease everything and then see exactly where the Oil is really leaking from.
Mine was leaking badly and had so much caked on Dirt and Oil I could not see that 95% of the issue was the Valve Cover Gasket.

If they Oil Cooler Hoses are leaking they should be replaced. However,(this happened to Me) removing the Oil Cooler Hoses from the Oil Cooler often results in one or both of the Aluminum Oil Cooler Nipples on the Oil Cooler getting stripped due to corrosion of the Aluminum sticking it to the Steel Nipple.
There is a Mercedes authorized repair for that but in the mean time you need to be sure you have a ride to Work or other important places you need to be.

Removing the Fuel Injection Pump from the Engine is going to mean you will need to retime the Fuel Injection Pump. People who have never done the Drip Method of Timing often have a lot of trouble doing it.

The Mercedes Service Manual calls for removing the complete Oil Filter Housing. But, People have managed to do it with out doing that. The Hang up at the rear Bottom of the Fuel Injection Pump is a Bracket that can be difficult to deal with.

Since you are tracking down Oil Leaks you might want to see if there is leak between the Oil Filter Housing and the Engine Block (Ya, I had to change that Gasket to).
If you have a Block to Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leak and the Fuel Injection Pump Gasket to Block leak and the Oil Cooler Hoses to change you could do it all at one time. But, don’t expect the Job to be a fast one.

The Real Mercedes Oil Filter Housing to Block Gasket is worth the Extra Money. When I got the new Fuel Injection Pump to Block Gasket I decided I wanted one made of thicker material and I used the New Gasket as a template and made one out of thicker material.

Another reason to degrease and find where the Oil leaks are coming from is on the bottom of the Fuel Injection Pump there is a Sheet Metal Pan that is sealed by a Big O-ring. Sometimes that O-ring is what is leaking.

There is also a Plastic Oil Supply line that brings Oil to the Fuel Injection Pump that can cause issues.