Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

No Fuel Movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Default No Fuel Movement

I search around, but just can't seem to find anything. I just picked up a '83 Toyota pickup with and '84 OM617. I don't have a lot of history on the vehicle and I can tell from the first glances that this was not built by a pro. However, the information I have is that the motor was running in the vehicle and the previous owner (well, two previous owners ago) drove it for a couple years with the diesel. The people I bought it from picked it up not running to help their friend out with a little on cash. They said that it just needed a fuel pump. Since getting it home, my research has shown that there is not a fuel pump, the injector pump acts as a fuel pump. But here's the problem, I can't get any fuel to pump toward the motor. I've blown out the lines, and they are not clogged or restricted in any way. But the clear lines going into the injector pump are not filling with diesel and the hand primer is doing no good either. If you take the filter off, pumping the hand primer does not bring fuel to the filter. So where is my issue? Could the hand primer be blocking the flow of fuel? or does it in fact need an aux. fuel pump to keep the system primed up?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:12 AM

It has a fuel pump on there? Any pictures online that will show me where it is and do you know where I can get one? I checked with autozone right after buying the truck and they didn't have a listing for one.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:28 AM

Is that where the hand primer is. Little black **** you can press to pressurize the system.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:19 AM

Yes, that is where the Hand Primer is.

Get youself a container with clean Diesel Fuel and hook that up to the Fuel Hose that goes into the Fuel Pump.
Loosen a connection that goes to the Spin-on Fuel Filter and start Pumping on the Hand Pirmer to see of Fuel comes out.
If Fuel comes out try cranking the Enginge and see if Fuel comes out.

Tighten things back up. Loosen a connection between the Fuel Filter and the Fuel Injection Pump and see if Fuel comes out there when you use the Hand Primer or cranking the Engine.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM

I forgot to mention you can get a Fuel Supply/Lift Pump repiar kit from the Dealer. It has 2 new Valves, 2 Springs and some Copper Crush Washers in it.

Valve, Fuel Pump A 000 090 02 10
The A in the part number is generally not used when they look up parts but appears on the package and in the Parts list.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 PM

Okay, I replaced the lift pump. The primer was definately bad, I couldn't get any fuel movement from it and I got an entire unit off a clean used car for cheap. Got it installed, and its priming and working good. Trouble is, I'm still not getting any fuel to the injectors. There is fuel getting to the I/P, but there doesn't seem to be any getting out. I read on a few other posts, some references about the I/P being clogged, but the only responce I saw was "I don't support WVO". Is this something that could be a problem? Or is it the entire I/P? Really hate to put on a new one pointlessly.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Hmmmm, lots of hoses going in. Which hose is this? Is there a schematic somewhere I can look at?