Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

considering a fixer-upper diesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 08:49 PM
Default considering a fixer-upper diesel

I'm considering a 1980 MB 300D Wagon. I'm in the market for a 2nd vehicle, both utilitarian and relatively economical...the body and interior of this wagon are in excellent condition with 125,000 oritinal miles...however the vehicle has been sitting for an extended period...here is a quote from the seller.

"But because it sat for so long, there is carbon build-up in the internal part of the engine, thus the car smokes and doesn't have a ton of power. Essentially, the car needs a used engine, a rebuild, or there is a possibility that if the engine is soaked with mystery oil (to loosen up the chambers) it will improve over time."

I'm no stranger to a wrench...I've been a SAAB buff for quite some time, but I'm ignorant to MB diesel engines. How accurate would you consider the owner's statement...is there a way to re-vamp a sitting engine that runs? Are carbon deposits common on these vehicles and if so...how are they cleaned? Or is his statement totally inaccurate and should I just consider searching for a used/rebuilt engine.

I can purchase this vehicle for $500.00. I don't mind putting a little money into it...but I don't want to dig into my retirement...lol...

Any advice, comments, or suggestions are appreciated.

PS... I am a huge MB fan due to the fact that my grandparents bought a brand new, 1972 MB 220 Diesel. They just rolled over 850,000 miles last week and it still runs strong and looks good!! They've replaced the clutch, an alternator, and the usual maintenance...so I know the potental of the older MB engines.

Old 09-02-2006, 01:02 AM
Default RE: considering a fixer-upper diesel

I say go for it! I just bought an '82 300D Turbo sedan w/330,000 mi for $500 and feel quite fortunate to get it so cheap.

As for carbon building up from sitting, that sounds like a misleading (at best) statement. I would assume the engine's in bad shape and that you're going to need a replacement. I still say it's worth $500 for what was probably a $27,000 car. But, if the engine turns out to be okay, then the deal is even sweeter. Most likely, new rings, bearings, gaskets, and a timing chain will get you another 300,000 miles. (But change the timing chain every 100k - just to be safe.)

Just my 2 cents.