Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   new owner of a 1985 300sd turbodiesel (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/new-owner-1985-300sd-turbodiesel-57440/)

Tom1287 04-26-2017 08:51 PM

new owner of a 1985 300sd turbodiesel

Hi guys, I'm really hoping you all can help me out. I just bought (like 2 weeks ago) a 1985 300sd turbo diesel. I had read about them a little and realised that as long as it was still solid the engine will run until the wheels fall off. I should mention that this is my first diesel vehicle and that I am 24 and this is only my second car. It needs some stuff done to it before I can truly call it a car I'd use as a daily driver. I would really love to self restore as much as possible, but I'm not some stubborn wanker that's gonna try something he has no hope of figuring out, so if it needs an actual mechanic I'm willing to go there. Here is a list of what i can think of right now that i need to fix. (I'll post pictures as soon as its daylight and not raining)

-The Odometer is not currently working. (all the other dash gauges work though)

-The seats don't want to move at all, in fact my drivers seat is stuck in that really far back position, for like if you want to get the most uncomfortable 40 winks of your life. the knobs and buttons for it don't have the covering case they should on either side.

-It is super slow up hills, i.e. if I don't get a good running start up the hills I end up lucky to make 25 mph up them. I don't know if that's just because its a diesel or what.

- I know I need to replace or repair the drivers front brake caliper, I was aware of that when I bought it. I'm just not sure how involved a process it is.

- A secondary concern to be sure, but the windows don't like to go up or down. I was warned that the rear window wont come up if I put it down and thus far only the front passenger side window will do what it says on the tin, with minimal stop and start. I currently have to open up the sun roof to get ventilation, due to all the icons being worn off the buttons and I'm not sure where the air is. On a window note, how big a deal is it to replace a broken window? (drivers side back window, the big one not the small triangle window)

It does need quite a bit of restoration in the cosmetic department, but at the moment, I just want to get it up to daily driver status. The person I bought it from used it as his daily driver for years before his kids made it impossible, and I want to keep using it for that purpose.

Thank you in advance for any assistance, and don't hesitate to give me pointers in other areas, especially care and maintenance. I'm sure there is a ton I don't know about this car, that you guys can tell me.

PelicanParts.com 05-03-2017 02:57 PM

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new ride! I've attached a link to our site's DIY tech articles on the W126 platform - it'll be really helpful when doing maintenance and other fixes down the line. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can be of any assistance!

Mercedes-Benz S-Class W126 (1981-1991) Technical Articles - Pelican Parts