Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

New Guy: Donate or Part Out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Default New Guy: Donate or Part Out?

Hi, I'm new here. So this is kind of like....an introduction...er something.

Anyway, I wanted to get your guys opinion on something. I inherited a 1982 Mercedes 300D from my father a few years ago. The downside to the inheritance was that on the day he was suposed to drive the car up to me, he fell asleep at the wheel and had a little fender bender. He then decided that he did not want to drive the car all the way from South Florida up to Atlanta where I live. Thinking that the damage was a lot worse than it was, I ended up driving 700 miles down there with a trailer to pick the car up only to find that the car was perfectly driveable after I hit the right fender with a hammer twice with a big hammer to keep the front tire from rubbing in turns. My wife ended up driving the car home because it was just easier. The car has been in my family for over 25 years, so I thought I might fix it up and drive it occasionally. In the last few years, I've driven it off and on, and my wife used it when she was commuting to Savannah, GA for 5 months. I really wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. A few months ago I went outside and realized that the front windshield had cracked. So now it's not very practical to drive, and given that we have 3 other cars, there really is no need to.

Anyway, at this point I'm thinking I really ought to just get rid of this thing. I have so many other projects going on, I'll never get around to fixing it up. And even if I did, I probably wouldn't drive it that much. Old Mercedes Diesel cars aren't exactly my thing. My question is, is there any real interest in these old diesels? Is there any real opportunity to part it out, or should I just donate the car for a tax right off?

Mechanically, the car is about as good as can be expected. The engine had a basic rebuild a few years ago. It has new bearings and rings, etc. The block was not re sleeved though. The turbocharger has been rebuilt, and the injection pump has been rebuilt. It has an automatic transmission out of an 84 Mercedes that was swapped out a long time ago, but it works fine. In fact, just about everything on the car works fine. The CV axles were also rebuilt not too long ago.

Thank you in Advance for your Opinions.

Kurt

Old 10-04-2011, 07:13 AM

Yeah, I don't want to even bother my insurance company with it. That's why I want to part out. The car isn't a perfectly good car by any means, but the parts from it could be used to make another Mercedes perfectly good.

Kurt

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM

No sooner do I post this, and I have some interesting in buying it like it is. He wanted me to take pictures, so since I already took them, I figured I would post them up.

Name:  IMAG0040.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0041.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  58.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0042.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0043.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  69.9 KB

Name:  IMAG0045.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  IMAG0047.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  40.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0048.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  43.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0049.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMAG0050.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  61.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0051.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  64.1 KB

Kurt

Old 10-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Yeah, I told the guy $1000 and he didn't have a problem with that. If I got $1000 for it I'd be happy. This guy wants to use it as an airport car, so I think he just wants to replace the windshield and corner light, massage to fit and drive it just the way it is. He wants one of these so he can just dump used motor oil in the tank and drive it the way it is. I honestly think the hood and bumper could be massaged back to useable condition. Thanks for the value guesstimate though.

Kurt

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM

That's what I told him but he says he knows a guy who's been doing it for years. I don't see the point in putting used motor oil in there when it will run much better on old fryolator oil. That's practically free too. Either way, if he buys the car he can light it on fire for all I care.

Kurt