Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

My $1000 85 300D makes 57 RWHP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 04:52 PM
Default My $1000 85 300D makes 57 RWHP

That's right, 57 HP at the rear wheels.

I bought this car about a month ago and aside from the lack of power I am very happy with it. It has 233,xxx miles and is in OK shape.

It made 8.5lb of boost on the dyno and increasing the boost actually caused me to lose power.
I adjusted the ADLA and that did pick the power up a fair amount down low but had no effect on overall power. I have since completely removed it but still get no smoke and no noticeable power increase.

All of the filters have been checked or replaced.
The valves have been adjusted.

I think my injection pump just isn't feeding the motor enough fuel. I'm not looking to make the car smoke but at this point I would like to see some just so I could turn the boost up a little.
Unless someone has some different suggestions I am doing my research so I can turn the pump up to feed more fuel to the engine.

Thoughts?

Old 06-28-2009, 05:48 PM

Your playing with fire remember your car has 235k What is the history of the car. Is the timming chain good, valves adj, injectors, & ect. Not 100% sure what all can be done due to some of the controls to the motor has limits as you found out with the boost as the system backed out fuel due to over boosting. Maybe forced injection can add some light but it sounds like your to worried about smoke. If you have free time on a dyno I'd worry about HP and torque than smoke. With out checking other parts out you may end it's life early. Unless your willing to spend some$$$$$. I have a 87 300D 210K and use it as my economy work car so my diesel truck can sit. I did go all over it and insured it was up to factory spec's. Did not try to turn it up so it will last awhile longer

Old 06-28-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by lwbrewer
Your playing with fire remember your car has 235k What is the history of the car. Is the timming chain good, valves adj, injectors, & ect. Not 100% sure what all can be done due to some of the controls to the motor has limits as you found out with the boost as the system backed out fuel due to over boosting. Maybe forced injection can add some light but it sounds like your to worried about smoke. If you have free time on a dyno I'd worry about HP and torque than smoke. With out checking other parts out you may end it's life early. Unless your willing to spend some$$$$$. I have a 87 300D 210K and use it as my economy work car so my diesel truck can sit. I did go all over it and insured it was up to factory spec's. Did not try to turn it up so it will last awhile longer
I'm not going for a race car, I would be happy with something close to the HP it should make. From what I have read I'm 30 to 40 HP shy of that.

The timing chain looked OK but I don't know of a good way to test it. The valves were adjusted and I think it may have made a small difference.
I'm not worried about smoke at all, I'm looking for it as a sign to turn back a little and then leave it alone.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Did you check the strainer inside the fuel tank? Try switching hoses to the supply and return lines in the engine bay, block the EGR (Cut up a soda can and put it under the valve face), make sure vacuum is not leaking to the shutoff actuator with the key on and make sure the hoses between the intake and ALDA are clear of EGR crud and that the vent valve is not leaking/plugged.

Its a bad idea to try and increase fuel output until you have determined the source of your initial problem and corrected it first.
The tank strainer was spotlessly clean.
The ALDA line were also very clean and the ALDA has since been removed.
I'll block off the EGR and check the shutoff actuator.

Thanks for the tips.
Greg