Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Mercedes Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 10:57 PM
Default Mercedes Help

Today, my brother bought a 1985 Mercedes 300SD.

Well, he had me drive it home. Couple things wrong with it,
1. It seems too lose power, even if I floor it the thing just won't move like it should.
2. Once I get it home and park it, after 5-10 minutes of it being parked, the top left radiator hose broke and the radiator cracked right underneath shooting anti-freeze out.
3. It leaks oil and tranny fluid (which I don't believe to be too hard to fix once we figure out where it is leaking).
4. Inside the car where it shows the gas, it goes up instead of going down.
5. Where it shows how hot the car is, doesn't work and I believe the car to be overheating.
6. The SMS light is on.

There is just WAY too much gunk and smudge that I know is tearing the thing up.

I need help with why the radiator busted, not the hose, that thing was probably just too old and needed replacing, need help with the loss of power, help with the gas gauge, the heat gauge/how to fix it from over heating if it is, and to know what and why the SMS light is on.

Right now we have been taking parts off and trying to clean up the smudge and sometime next week going to buy a new radiator. Also, We are going to try and get it running to take it up to the dealership to do a tune-up.

If any of you could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Default rad crack

when the plastic tank gets old the top hose crackes off.a kit to repair it is available,,but i feel the whole tank is in the same condition[brittle] and needs to be replaced.get a new one ,,if you bring a beat up old benz to the dealer expect to pay mucho dollars....good luck with your car,,its a great model... roomy and safe.