Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

loping idle in drive, but smooth in park

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Default loping idle in drive, but smooth in park

Hey there,
What conditions are different for an 83' 300D that could contribute to it having a very different idle in Drive that it does in Park?
thanks,
steve

Old 04-25-2010, 09:13 PM

thanks for that.
I'll give it a try.
2 things that have me curious though. Whats the difference between the two types of idle (D vs P) and second, this never occurred before my conversion to SVO and I'm curious how that could have effected it. The idle is the same on either fuel system (diesel or veggie) and I am experiencing absolutely nothing else that would suggest I'm getting air in the fuel.
thanks again

Old 04-25-2010, 11:40 PM

Before you adjust your Rack Dampner Screw adjust your idle so it is within spec.

An Air leak can cause the rough idle. As can a need for a Valve Adjustment, setting the Fuel Injectors within spec, bad Transmission and Motor mounts and there is also a Gold Colored updated Rack Dampner Pin.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 04-25-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:48 AM

thanks for both your contributions.
Diesel 9112, you stated "Before you adjust your Rack Dampner Screw adjust your idle so it is within spec."
How do I know when its within spec?
"An Air leak can cause the rough idle. As can a need for a Valve Adjustment, setting the Fuel Injectors within spec, bad Transmission and Motor mounts and there is also a Gold Colored updated Rack Dampner Pin."
Air leak was the first thing i thought of, but have dealt with that alot and there are no other symptoms that would suggest this. Does great under heavy load without any ******* at all.
The engine is a replacement for one with a bad crankshaft that I pulled. It only has 110k on it. The valves were just adjusted, I couldn't tell you if the tranny was bad......they are so vacuum involved it's hard to tell what's exactly the issue. I've adjusted the kickdown a few times and the vacuum modulator a hair in the recent past. I'll look at the dampner pin today although i can't imagine its anything but the old silver one. And I wouldn't know how to set the injectors to spec either.
As for eliminating svo altogether, its not the route I'll go. Until there is another viable alternative to fossil fuels, i'll keep using grease. As far as legal... I don't know a living soul who hasn't crossed some sort of minor legal line in their lives. If i'm breaking a law, well it seems like a relatively noble one to break for me. In my opinion (which is as fallible as anyone elses) sometimes our laws don't always reflect the higher good. Its not saving much money and its a real pain in my butt to do, so clearly i'm doing it for what i believe to be a good reason.
anyways, I have a 300 sd that i've been running on grease since 04 and an 83 td since 07'. Both have lots of miles on veg and don't have this symptom. Therefore I doubt thats the problem.
thanks again guys