Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

looking for old mercedes suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 06:07 PM
Default looking for old mercedes suggestion

Hello, I don't know much about Mercedes yet but I'm looking for a good quality old Mercedes that has a bombproof diesel engine. I see a lot of different models so its all very confusing to me. Probably looking at something around the early 80's because I don't have much money. My plan is to run it on biodiesel in case you're wondering.

Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks

Old 06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: looking for old mercedes suggestion

Is that nuclear bomb proof, or atomic bomb proof?

Well, look for rust, especially the up north cold snow regions. Then get somewhere to check the undercarriage. Check for leaks and see what leaks you might have to deal with. AKA know what you are getting and what you are getting into. Some sweating is okay on the differential so it's normal. And of course take it for a test drive, the steering should be nice tight, no major vibrations, good acceleration for a diesel, no hesitation, of course no blue or thick white smoke and definately no heavy black smoke as if something is on fire (probably is if you see this.) Check the timing chain and see when the last time it was changed. If there is no evidence of it being changed out in the car's life time, (100,000+ mile cars.), have it checked for tightness. It won't cost much but if that thing breaks and or jump chain, you'll have problems that you wish you didn't have. And try to get one with at least some service records.

diesel models of the 80s

300Ds 5 cylinder old style
190Ds
300D 6 cylinder W124 style
300SD 1981-1985 5 cylinder
300SD/SDL 1986-1987 6 cylinder

Just about all MB diesels are bulletproof, bombproof, rocket proof or whatever. IMO, I would go for a six cylinder. Better performance, very good gas mileage, and last practically forever with the proper maintenence.