Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

HOT!! Running Caliente!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Default HOT!! Running Caliente!!!!

Running hot out the blue? So my temps skyrocket within a minute or so, popped the hood, NO Coolant?

Only thing that comes to mind is that yesterday I installed an old OEM coolant cap I had laying around! The existing one was aftermarket, maybe my OEM was
Crapper? One more thing from the overheating the valve leaked a liitle oil by gasket, normal or what?

Old 08-16-2011, 10:51 AM

2 Gallons of stolen h20 from whose ever home driveway where I pitted at 11pm and her temps r back to normal w/in seconds. Should I leave her alone or buy a 50/50 mix and feed it tomorrow? The oil leak was minute, nothing blew out, no water anywhere, no hose cracks or tares, maybe radiator leak? Tomorrow I'll access her in the daylight, another thing might be that my coolant tank had the typical small/crack going where both halves meet since like forever, it was in the upper part or the tank so nothing Ever leaked n I never paid it any mind as temps NEVER EVER climbed. Its my understanding that it has to hold pressure to move coolant back and forth btw tank and radiator as temps + and -?The crapper cap is suspect of being the straw that broke the the reservoir's back!

Old 08-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Hit her up this morning w prestone 50/50, ran her hard for 30 minutes and temps are steady at 80-85C. I'll keep an eye on it. But I think those are ideal temps?

Here's another possibility. Over the weekend I tinkered with my freshly installed oil Sep. Maybe it backfired on my *** and crapped the vacuum pressure and perhaps also the cause of the minute oil leak/ sippage on the block head gasket (less than 1/2 of 1 qt). Maybe that then led to heating which fed it whatever minute coolant the tank already had?

I say this because the coolant tank is not leaking, I ran her filthy *** hard and temps will not climb above 80-85C, no more evidence of leaking oil.

Here is what is catching my attention! Near the EGR / air cleaner / radiator shroud location there is like a pressure cooking pot sound, (vacuum type sound) it is also very hot near that location, everything seems and feels hotter under hood, however temps r steady at 80-85C??? If I poke my face near that location its effing
hot! Could this also be the oil residue creating heat while it burns away?

Bad water pump?

Very curious!
One more thing, the car has been idling for roughly an hour after my hard drive and temps steady at 80-85C.
Should I be concerned?

Last edited by 85300td; 08-16-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:56 AM

u are correct, to correctly flow from the tank to the radiator, not using just gravity, it has to be sealed and hold pressure......i would try a new cap, and definately get some coolant (anti-corrosion) in there ASAP.....

as to the new post, it could be the intake noise, but maybe your wastegate is leaking, or the ARV (if it has one on your model)

Old 08-16-2011, 11:29 AM

Got new cap in, new 50/50 and back to normal. What is the ideal temp. Some say 80C others 90C. I'm kind of in the middle.

Old 08-16-2011, 11:45 AM

looks about right.....

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 PM

Just put her on another run just to make sure..

Bounced a little above the 85 ish C range.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

rising slightly like that is fine, especially if u have been driving hard......mine often goes up to around 100-ish when running hard 80+ mph, goes right back down when u slow.....

Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 PM

I think my thermostat housing is crapping on me. This might be why there was no blow up.Its my understanding these things are built to be sealed with an O ring. In other words built as closed loop cooling and sensitive to air leaks.

Here is how it sits now.

The previous owner decided to 1up Mercedes and apply silicone instead. This might be the culprit, I will clean out those two banjos on that metal loop thing while im at it. Have seen scary pics on how clogged they can get. Will check pelican parts to see if they have the O rings to seal properly.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Got her flushed, actually did 3 good flushes in 20 minute intervals after running car for enough time to allow for the thermostat to open up (@ around 80C).
Im pretty sure I got 99% of old coolant out of the system as can be noted on the picture.
The good news is that no junkie stuff ever came out after all of the multiple draining/flushings. Satisfying! Tomorrow I will replace thermostat and flush once more with distilled water then top her off with Mercedes Coolant.

Im doing my flush exactly as a guy I like to follow closely on youtube.
He's a trip to watch.
6.0 SYSTEM FLUSH - YouTube
Cheers

Quick Reply: HOT!! Running Caliente!!!!