Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Help with starting my 86 190D

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Default Help with starting my 86 190D

I have been driving a 190d daily, I went out the other morning and it would not start. The battery checks out at 65%, the ignition will rotate fully and returns to the "on" position. There was no grinding or lagging from the starter, when this happened, In fact nothing happens. The interior lights and and glow plugs all show to be working fine. I have check the fuse bus in the engine bay by the drivers side, all fuses are fine. I traced as many wires as a could, no shorts or exposed wires. The fuses and connections by the battery check out as well.

This is a 86 with a non turbo 2.5. Does any one think that it could be the starter. I ask this because from what I have been told the starter is about impossible to kill, that and the Benz supplier in my area will not take electronics back (which he considers the starter to be one). I just don't want to spend $150 when it's the wrong part.

Any help will be greatly appreciated as I need to get my daily driver back on the road.

Thanks
Shane

Old 03-04-2009, 06:57 PM

connect directly from the battery to the starter to see if you can make it spin. If you can, the problem is somewhere between the switch and the starter. If you can't (and the battery is good), you know it's the starter.

Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM

Check the following first - cable from battery to starting motor big terminal. Make sure there is no corrosion or loose contact. I once took a starting motor out and messed around for a whole day and found nothing wrong. It was a corroded terminal at the battery.

1) If you hear a click when you try to start but the starting motor does not spin then it is likely the solenoid contacts inside the solenoid housing or the starting motor itself. I find a lot of the time it is the big contacts inside the solenoid.
2) If you do not hear a click then it is solenoid wiring or somewhere between the solenoid terminal to your igniting switch.

If you have access to a voltmeter then do the following - check whether you have 12v at the solenoid when you turn the ignition switch. If you do then the wiring part is good. The problem is likely to be the solenoid/starting motor itself.

If you have 12v at the solenoid terminal and no 12v at the big terminal then it is solenoid or contacts. If you have 12v at the big terminal then it is the motor itself. Just do divide and conquer, there is nothing to it.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM

whem you say nothing happens, do you mean the starter does not crank the engine?if its not cranking at all try moving the shifter to neutral.you can have starter tested for free at many auto parts stores

Old 03-06-2009, 09:52 AM

When I say nothing happens, I mean nothing happens, no sounds, no grinding, no whining, nothing. There is nothing happening when I go from the on position to the start position.

I was told by my local Mercedes Mechanic that the solenoid is built into the starter. Any input on that?

I would try to connect the battery to the start and bypass the wiring but I can't see a safe way of doing this with the location of the starter. Is the only way to do this by lifting the front end up and going from the bottom?

Thanks for the help.
Shane

Old 03-06-2009, 04:31 PM

At the very least you should get one click from the relay. If you're not getting that, check the voltage to the relay or check the neutral cutout switch.

Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Default Re: Help starting my 86 190D

Is this a manual or automatic? If auto,try shifting to neutral. If manual,can it be roll started off? Possible clutch switch is "yes" to this. Also- 65% doesn't sound like much of a charge to me. Try jump starting.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Default similar problem

I am having what sounds like a very similar problem with 1985 Mercedes 190 manual 4cyl 1.9L that I use as daily driver as well. Battery and alternator less than 2 mos old. When try to start, ignition turns and car interior and headlights work, but no audible clicks. Horn does not work. Fuses look ok. Suspected solenoid/relay but am learning all of the car anatomy as I go, so progress is slow- Am checking the wiring- will try the voltmeter- thank you for the suggestion! Will let you know if I make any progress. Know what you mean about not wanting to buy parts if not necessary!
Thanks,
B.