Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Good vehicle for customizing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 11:50 PM
Default Good vehicle for customizing?

Hello Everyone!!

I am new to the forum and possiblly to owning a Mercedes Benz. I love customizing cars and do it for a living as an automotive upholsterer. My thought is to buy a Mercedes Benz Wagon. I am leaning toward an 87 or up 300 TDT. I am going to customize it to promote my new business along with my belief of alternative fuels. I want to convert a Turbo Diesel to WVO, VO, or Bio but I also want to bump the horses under the hood without damaging anything. I plan on installing an exhaust system and intercooler for the bigger turbo, such as a Garrett GT28R or a turbonetics T3-T4, and a huge blowoff valve. I will also install a full air suspension, custom interior and paint. Oh yeah, cant forget the 22 inch fat lip wheels and the 6 foot slide back ragtop. What I want to know is, what is a good, reliable MB Diesel? Model? Year? Engine Type? What about horsepower and tuning limitations? I want an engine that can handle lots of boost with little to no alteration to internals. Will extra Boost damage anything on WVO, VO or Bio? What performance parts (i.e. companies like Garrett) are good for Mercedes? Where can I find examples of things people have done to customize Benz'? These are just a few of the questions I have. Any help is greatly appreciated. From what I have read, you guys and girls seem to be extremely knowledgeable about these cars and others. Again, thanks for any and all info.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Default RE: Good vehicle for customizing?

Like I said before, I am an upholsterer by trade not a mechanic. If I had all the answers to the questions then I wouldn't be here asking them. YES, IM SERIOUS!!! I want to be different...stand out...draw attention. Thats how I will get people to come into my store. A hooked up Diesel sounds cool to me. A fast, loud, hooked up, turbo diesel sounds even better. You can laugh all you want, but I know you and others will be looking at my car with my business name and number all over it. If things pan out, I hope to be in the SEMA show next year. All Im asking for is some info from knowledgeable Mercedes people to point me in the right direction.[8D]