Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

fuel shut of location

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Question fuel shut off location

My 1987 190D (93,000 original miles) won’t always shut off after I turn the ignition key off. The breaks still work great so I do not believe it is a vacuum pump failure.

I’m fairy sure I need to either replace the fuel shut off valve or confirm there is sufficient vacuum to operate it properly.

My question: Is there an easy way to check vacuum or replace the valve without removing the intake manifold?

I am assuming that it is located near the IP. I am reluctant to order the part until I can confirm I have sufficient vacuum going to the valve. I looked at other threads but could find nothing about its location.

Thanks

Reggie

Last edited by cici235; 09-15-2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 PM

I had more infor for you but do not see a way to send it.

If other have a similar situation.
You can go to your favorite internet parts supplier and see if there is a Pic of the Shutoff Valve in their parts site. And, look for that Valve on the Fuel Injection Pump.
Ounce you have located the Shutoff Valve on the Fuel Injection Pump disconnect the Vacuum Hose.
If you see and Crancase Oil there it is a sign there is a hole in the Shuytoff Valve Diaphragm.
Get a length of extra Vacuum Hose and connect it to the Vacuum Shutoff. Start the Engine and apply Vacuum to the other end of the Hose. This can be done with a hand held Vacuum Tester that you pump or simply by putting the Hose in your mouth and sucking on it.
If the Engine stops the Vacuum Shutoff on the Fuel Injection Pump is good.

Next there is an other Vacuum Shutoff Valve on your steering Colum Lock; this one works when you use your Key. You need to inspect the Hoses there for disconnections or the Valve there could be Bad.

If your locking system works by Vacuum and you do not have a separate Electric Vacuum Pump just for the Door Locks you need to troubleshoot for Door Lock Vacuum Leaks.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 09-15-2010 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM

Thanks

I do have a separate vacuum pump (under the rear seat) so this eliminates a lot of potential problems. I sort of tried what you suggested. The picture I found was so small it was not much help. I will look again.