Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Fuel Leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Default Fuel Leak

I was checking my oil a few minutes ago while filling up at a gas station and noticed a small puddle of fuel that had collected in the front head cover bolt. The fuel hoses from the fuel filter to the glow plug are wet with fuel. I turned the car on and it looks like fuel is leaking from the top of the front glow plug? Help diagnosing!

Old 12-15-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
That is the fuel injector, not glowplug. Go to a dealer, buy 1meter of the braided cloth return line (should cost about $15) and replace all the small hoses.
Thanks for the correction. It looks like the leak is coming from the top of the injector not the hoses. If it is coming from the top of the injector, will I need a new one?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:22 PM

Since you're not sure, you would be wise (and it's certainly more economical) to go ahead and replace the fuel hose as a prophylactic measure. Worse comes to worse, you've changed out some line that will go bad eventually anyway and eliminated one possible source of the leak.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:47 PM

How dangerous is it to drive around with the fuel leaking?

Old 12-16-2009, 07:42 AM

Oh, not dangerous at all! Combustible material, hot engine, it's all good. You don't happen to bathe with your radio plugged in and sitting on the edge of the tub too, do you?

In all seriousness, it is not likely that the leaking fuel will ignite; however, it just ain't smart.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM

^ LOL. I know its not the ideal choice, I just wanted to be sure it wouldn't blow up on my way to the mechanic.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:32 PM

Took the car into the mechanic this morning. I'd love to save money and tinker with this myself but I need the car for work. The mechanic is really cool. He sourced the problem to the steel line that connects to the top of the fuel injector. Replaced the line with a used part from a spare engine and the problem is solved! Took 15 minutes tops. Next time I change the oil I'll replace the rubber fuel lines around the injectors.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:24 PM

Make sure you use the correct flex hose for the returns- They are retained by fitting into a recess and over a barb, if you get the wrong ones they will leak.

Old 12-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Any suggestions as to where to get the fuel hoses to ensure proper fit? Is there a specific diameter I should be looking for?

Old 12-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Dealership, Diesel Giant, or ???

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak