Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

FRIEGHTENING clanging noise. 1980 300sd w116

Old 07-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Exclamation FRIEGHTENING clanging noise. 1980 300sd w116

I've had the SD for several years now. I drove my Sd to Az and back no problems year before last. Weekly I proly average well 500 miles driving. For the first time ever I'm afraid to drive the beast anywhere. Sunday on our way home from church coming up from one of the tunnels I noticed a slight loss of power. figured maybe it was time for a fuel filter. Well once we got into of the high way and stopped at a light I heard a slight sound so I turned off the music and there was this tapping. like a ball pean hammer on a block of metal. I took it real easy the rest of the way home. checked my oil. it was normal. I do all my own maint and repair, even did an engine swap last year on one of these. I'm not quite a nubee, but this is new to me.

here's a link to a youtube video so you can hear it.

I live in the middle of nowheres so I gotta have my car. let me know what you think. thanks in advance.

Last edited by bro frank; 07-15-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 06:45 PM

I apreciate you taking the time to reply.

Air intake was added long after the winter time trip to Az, the reference to Az was simply made to indicate how reliable the car has been up to this point and now I won't drive it out the yard. But I will keep your thoughts about "warm breathing" in mind, hot is hot where ever you are. It is what I have to work with for now and won't be getting changed till I get some "change".

Worn or Burnt Piston pin bushing? wouldn't that indicate/be caused by a lack of oil flow to the bushing? I thought they splash in pan oil or are they spayed?

If it's worn then what I'm hearing may potentially be the piston slapping the head?

9 years now you say. Go MB!

Injectors: Getting ready to go outside and do just that. Actually my first thought, and I will probly replace them on just cause since I have a spare set and don't really know how old these are.

Any other thoughts?

Old 07-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Default Next

So I loosened all injector lines one at a time. Injector 3 caused the sound to deepen but not go away. I replaced it any how. no change.

see video here

not liking the sound of this.

whats the next step?

drop the oil pan(s)? gee i get to fix a leak, oh joy.

I think I'll go do my home work eat some ice-cream have acid reflux and go to sleep.

get up early with the dew and see what i can do.

thanks.

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 07-16-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: no peachp@rts links please.
Old 07-16-2013, 07:52 AM
Default oil pan

I was going to drop the lower pan looking for bits and fragments, bearing matter and such. pin bushing won't leave much traces i'm guessing but a bearing will. Either way it look like replacement time.

She's never run hot and never low on oil. I haven't ethered it ever. but i've only had it in the car since dec/jan.... I guess it was just time to fail.

Gonna pull valve cover and adjust valves for fun and will update later.

thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Default rains and pours

Thunderstorms kept me from pulling the valve cover as planned last night. I hope to get it tonight if it doesn't storm again.

Thanks again for the input.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Default Clsng Clang cLANG

Got valve adjustment done. no change. going to borrow a stethoscope Sunday. Pulling oil pan in am to look for bits and pieces.

Old 07-20-2013, 09:13 AM

I have to agree with Forced, that is a wrist pin loose in its bore. Drive it till it lays down, then replace /rebuild the engine.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Default iT'S brokey

Pictures say a lot

There were metal bit's in the pan. some good sized ones and some very fine. felt like grit, shined like metalic flake (Hhmmm wander why ).

not good.

I'm guessing the only way to determine if it's a wrist pin as forced induction says would be to do major surgery.

I am tempted to drive it till it dies but I have no back up car and live 20 miles from civilization and 45 miles from school. Right now I can't afford to have it die and pay to have it dragged home. That's $!00 bucks towards the fixxin' soooo i go a fixxin'.

I'm getting to old for this.

Thanks every one . I will continue to update till she's on the road again?