Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

E320 CDI 2000 poor starting

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:37 AM
Default E320 CDI 2000 poor starting

Hi Guys ,

My E320 cdi is reluctant to start first time in cold weather but does eventually fire up on third or 4th attempt

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rog

Old 02-20-2011, 12:32 PM

I know just about zero about the newer Mercedes CDI Diesels.
Is there any sort of computer code showing up to indicate if your Glow Plugs are having a protlem?

On the older models you can remove the Electrical Connector from the Glow Plug Relay that goes to the Glow Plugs and use an Ohm Meter to check them. (The Diesel Giant website has a pictorial under Glow Plug Repair; it is not for your year and model but the method of using the Meter should be the same.)

On the Older Models even though the Glow Plug Light goes out you can leave the Key in the Preglow Pisition and the relay will not shutoff for about 20 more seconds; keeping the Glow Plugs on for those 20 more seconds; on mine I can hear it click off.
So, you can use your Glow Plugs longer than the light indicates.
You can also Cycle the key back and forth and Preglow again. You can do that several times if it is really cold before you attempt to start (this assumes your better is in great shape).

I have not read if the CDI Engine Glow Plugs are prone to breaking off when you try to remove them like the Older IDI Engines with Aluminum Cylinder heads are. If that happens it is a major issue. If any break off during removal at a Mechanics shop they are not going to risk trying to drill the Glow Plugs out but are going to want to remove the Cylinder Head and send it to a Machine Shop to have the Glow Plugs removed.

Anytime the Glow Plugs come out of the Engine a Glow Plug Reamer or some other method should be used to clean the Carbon out of the Glow Plug Holes or the new Glow Plugs will not last as long as they could.
Use only Bosch or Beru Glow Plugs.

Last edited by Diesel9112; 02-20-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM

Thanks very much I'll try the extended glow time

regards

Rog

Old 02-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Rogmerc
Hi Guys ,

My E320 cdi is reluctant to start first time in cold weather but does eventually fire up on third or 4th attempt

Any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Rog
I don't know how "cold" your weather is, but aside from the glow plug issue, if you haven't already done so, if your temperatures are 30 and below, you might consider adding anti gel to your fuel. If the fuel gets gelled up in the lines, it can cause poor starting along with a lack of acceleration. Last winter, I had run out of anti-gel when I filled up, and forgot to put some in when I got home. The next morning, with the temperature around 15 degrees, my car started, but after about 1/4 of a mile, it started to miss, and would not accelerate. This lasted for about 5 minutes, and finally cleared up. Since that time, I have made sure of adding the correct amount to the fuel. Good luck