Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

Which Diesel to get? Driving Impressions??

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 01:51 AM
Default Which Diesel to get? Driving Impressions??

Hi guys! This is my first post and I have a few questions for you.

I am contemplating swapping a MB turbo diesel into my Bronco II. It gets horrible fuel mileage (10 mpg) and also has 190k miles! Its pretty heavy and mainly sees offroad use (But sometimes alot of freeway driving depending on the season and weather). The Turbo Diesel would be great in wet conditions, would HOPEFULLY get better mpg and such. With that in mind, I would love to hear opinions on which model to use and such. I am very curious as to which 80's model you guys would recommend. Also, I havent had much luck searching for stock HP and torque numbers. I was interested in the 5 cylinder turbo model.

Not owning a MB sedan, what is the acceleration and performance like? Reliability and maintenance? I would love to hear any ideas or opinions you guys have. Thanks in advance!

Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Which Diesel to get? Driving Impressions??

Do you have any emssions laws to hold up too? If not then go with a 5-cylinder and put strait pipes on it. This will require a large amount of work and more skill than what i currently have to be able to do it. Make sure though that you are willing to put the time into it as well as a decent amount of money cause you will be converting from a gas to a diesel (not hard but complicated) Good luck and when u are finished i for one would love to see pics of it.

Back when i was younger my dad had the same idea of takin the 5-cylinder out of a 300sd and putting it into our 1948 Chevy but then my parents got divored so that ended that idea.