Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

can head gasket be the cause of oil loss

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Default can head gasket be the cause of oil loss

I have a 1985 300td and my mercedes guru told me that it looks like my oil loss is coming from my head gasket. Can this be true? I recently read that if you use green coolant in these alumimum cases that it can cause the connection of head to lose oil. I need some help...I thought it might be a valve cover gasket but I am pretty sure he said head gasket

Old 08-01-2011, 10:35 PM

Is the oil leaking to the outside or is it going through the engine? If it is leaking to the outside, clean the engine off, and run it a while. Then look for the leak. Look at the highest point and see if it is leaking from there BEFORE you blame anything lower down. Oil can run along ridges and bumps in castings you never thought possible. Look from the top down, where you find the oil is the approximate location of the leak

Old 08-07-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
An external leak will be obvious as the car will "mark its spot".
An internal leak means you need to stop using the engine immediately. Look for milkshake coolant or wetness in the exhaust pipe.
You're absolutely right Sorry I failed to mention that. I might also mention that coolant could be going into the crank case, although the complaint was oil loss and not coolant loss I think it worth mentioning. I've seen the coolant leak and cook off before it had a chance to mix with the oil. Makes it hard to find. Look for the milkshake at the top of the valve cover. As far as wetness in the tailpipe, in hot weather yes, in cold weather it could simply be condensation. Sounds pretty bad, but the taste test would confirm which one

Old 08-08-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
Fluids always move from high pressure to low pressure, the coolant tops out at 21psi while the oil is up to 100psi when the engine is running. The only way coolant can get in the oil is when the engine is hot and not running.
If the leak is betwen a coolant passage and a drain-back passage the coolant goes straight into the crankcase along with the oil that is draining back to the crankcase.