Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

ALDA Modification?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Default ALDA Modification?

Can someone provide a quick overview on this mod for my '82 240D? I've seen mention of it as a way to increase HP, but I have no idea how to do it. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-01-2007, 05:03 PM
Default RE: ALDA Modification?

OK, thanks. I'm assuming that only the turbodiesel models have an ALDA, and that's why it doesn't apply to my 2.4L OM616.

Old 04-19-2007, 06:32 AM

I have an 83 300sd turbo. How is this done? Can someone let me know what I need.

Old 04-20-2007, 12:37 AM

ORIGINAL: MB420

I have an 83 300sd turbo. How is this done? Can someone let me know what I need.
Ifyourautohas a 617 engine, first remove and clean the banjo nut and line to the switchover valve, on the rear of the manifold near the firewall. It's very easy and only takes about twenty minutes or so. Dieselgiant.com has a pictorial under MB maint, ALDA service. That nut and lines to the switchover valve ( Located on the drivers side firewall ) is usually clogged with soot and cuts way back on your acceleration. You should notice a big improvement. You also might do a lubro moly diesel purge
another easy job with great results... again, go to Dieselgiant.com for pics.

However, I suspect what you are asking is how to jazz up your ALDA. Dieselgiant will tell you to leave it alone. It's easy to break and then you simply won't have an ALDA. However, MBbuilt a huge fudge factor into the ALDA, and many adjust it and get much better performance. They simply ajust the nut on top, center, in small increments until when sharply accelerated, it produces black smoke, then back off a bit until the black smoke is barely visable. ( However, dieselgiant is correct. That nut breaks easily, and many are driving sans ALDA.) If you must persist,black smoke only means it's getting so much fuel that some of it isn't being burnt, but it's not harmful to your engine. The adjustment, is under a plastic cover on the top of the ALDA. You first must remove the cap before you can get to the screw..( The original cap is still on my ALDA, as I don't like smoke of any sort. )

Others by-pass the switchover valve and leave the ALDA as is. That fools the ALDA into allowing more fuel into the cylinders. They also plug the EGR by inserting a BB pellet or small bearing into the EGR line... For Shame! That mod will give a lot of additional pep, and doesn't produce smoke but, as an old German MB mechanic once said, If you're driving in the alps pulling a huge load, without a switchover valve you might experience a runaway engine.