Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

95 E300D AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Default 95 E300D AC problems

Recently lost my AC. The clutch does not engage. Checked all fuses and they seem fine. No voltage anywhere (like at the two switches by the filter-
errr receiver dryer). When the CC control is on I believe there is supposed to be ground at the AC temp switch.

Can anyone provide TS info? Maybe even a very good tutorial. I'd like to learn a lot more about this because it's so expensive.

Thanks.

Dave

Old 06-24-2010, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by hd wood
Recently lost my AC. The clutch does not engage. Checked all fuses and they seem fine. No voltage anywhere (like at the two switches by the filter-
errr receiver dryer). When the CC control is on I believe there is supposed to be ground at the AC temp switch.

Can anyone provide TS info? Maybe even a very good tutorial. I'd like to learn a lot more about this because it's so expensive.

Thanks.

Dave

Your ac may need a recharge. There is a pressure switch, that will prevent the compressor from engaging if the unit is low on refrigerant. You can jump the switch to see if the compressor will engage, but the test must only last a couple of seconds, or damage to the compressor can occur. The link below has a lot of useful information regarding ac systems, and how to diagnose certain problems. Good luck!!

http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/82/

Old 06-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Smile pimpernell

thanks for getting me started. no the system is fully charged. that much i do know. a qualified tech looked at it but doesn't know the MB set up. he lacked a schmatic (sp?) but checked all the fuses and was struck by a lack of voltage. since then I've been told that with system running the CC puts a ground on one side of (?) the temp switch. testing for voltage those two controls show no voltage. that's what got me interested. I can check for stuff like that. I have a Fluke, continuity tester, etc.

another guy who works on MBs all the time will take a look next week but I would luv to beat him to the draw. not only that, with four of these guys an issue is common. i have a ready made classroom. lol

thanks for the start. anything else would be graciously accepted.

dave

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 PM

Quick update: I had a guy troubleshoot the problem for me today. He checked the wires on the switches at the receiver-dryer, then looked at the clutch on the compressor and finally went around the the relay behind the battery. He pulled that out, put some voltage on it with his test wire off the battery and then proclaimed that was my problem.
I believed that until I learned retail on the relay is over $200. lol