Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

87 300D trap oxidizer

Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM
Default 87 300D trap oxidizer

Hello, this is my first post. I'm in the Northern California area.

I just got a 87 300DT with a trap oxidizer still on the car. I brought it to the dealer and they said they can't do anything about it, and there was no recall on it. I have 2 other 87 300DT with no trap oxidizer. Is it ok to keep driving it with the trap oxidizer? And the exhaust looks totally different from the other 2 that had the trap removed. I thought the dealer would take care of it but they claimed there was no recalls on the car. Any ideas on what I should do about the trap oxidizer and the old exhaust? Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:56 PM

When I talked to the service writer he said there was nothing he could do because they havn't had that repair in 5+ years. When he looked up my vin, all the recalls were closed. I saw 2 recalls on the screen and the 1st one was for throttle linkage in 93. It did show all the work that was done. The 2nd recall was closed but it had no detail of anything done in 96. It just showed it was closed.

I also called mercedes of North America, and I believe they were looking at the same screen. Because they said nothing was open. And then they told me I could have the work done at a dealer but I would have to pay for all the changes. And then she basically said there is nothing mercedes could do to fix it.

I looked at my other two 87 300dt cars and the exhaust is totally different then the one with the trap.

Maybe I should contact the EPA?

Old 10-23-2014, 12:39 AM

So, the service writer from mercedes called be back. And they said mercedes and the dealer will not fix the problem with the trap oxidizer. They didn't seem to care to much about the older cars.

But they did say that I could buy all the parts from them and I can install it or have them do it. The parts came out to over $4000, and labor.

This is a off the subject question. Can you remove the motor and transmission together on a 87 300D through the hood?

Old 11-19-2015, 11:57 PM
Default TrapOx service campaign ended?

Originally Posted by ForcedInduction
The TrapOx (football by the turbo) is an active EPA recall.
Have them look up Campaign No. 96-1121 from February 1997.
Hi, just inherited a 1986 300SDL with a TrapOx still installed. Called my loacal dealer to get this "recall" done. I was told that nothing is open on the car. So I called MBusa and I was told that it's not a "recall" as recalls never close but this is a "service campaign" and it has been closed. Grrrrr! I asked when it was closed? The customer service agent didn't know. Anyone get this done resently? I'm wondering if I should put up a fight to get it done or it's pointless and I should just let it go?