Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   85 300D (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/85-300d-3627/)

Benz Guy 02-03-2005 12:35 AM

RE: 85 300D

I have another question. I was reading somewhere and one fellow said to make sure to use a reamer to clear the pre-chamber of carbon before installing the new glow plugs. Then after to run the car in a manner to blow out the carbon. What is a reamer and where do I get one. Also do I just put in the the space vacated by the glow plug and brush? I will get a new fuse when I get the glow plugs. When I pull out the glow plugs do I just put one lead on one side of the glow plug and the other lead on the other side and then take the reading? Sorry that I have so many questions but no one I know knows this stuff and I like it. Thanks again.

Dave

sleepwalker 02-03-2005 12:44 AM

[IMG]local://upfiles/1/FBB1E3D87BC94DC99CBC01E8264F9C0C.jpg[/IMG]

pberku 02-03-2005 01:02 AM

A Reamer is used to clean out the glow-plug hole of carbon. Reamers cost around $50.00, so I am not sure that it makes sense for you to buy one. As an alternative, you can use a drill bit of the appropriate size, TWISTED BY HAND. When you finish reaming, and before you install the new plugs, turn the engine over with the starter to blow out any leftover carbon. One place that I know that sells Reamers is performance Products. Their web address is www.performanceproducts.com. Alternatively, if you are on good terms with your friendly garage, perhaps they can lend/rent you theirs for overnight, or over the weekend.

To measure glow-plug resistance when they are out-of the car, put one of the multi-meter's probes on the connection where the glow-plug wire connects, and the other probe to the body of the glow-plug. Read the resistance.

Phil

Benz Guy 02-03-2005 02:57 PM

Whew. Got the first one out. What a chore. A little PB blaster, did the trick. Man that stuff is awesome!!. I tested that glow plug and the resistance was in the 97.2 range. Looks like it's just the glow plugs from that I can tell from what you have told me. I will pull the rest and then get a drill bit and ream the prechamber by hand then follow the rest of what you said. I will report back when this has been completed. Thanks again for all the help Phil. You rock!

[sm=hail.gif][sm=goodidea.gif]

Benz Guy 02-04-2005 10:26 PM

Allright all done. Man putting them back was alot easier then taking them out. Thank you to Phil and Sleepwalker for all the good advice. The new glow plugs have solved my problems. Now on the get the A/C unit running again. Thanks again guys. Boy she is starting up nice now.

[sm=happybounce.gif]

tednorfolk 02-09-2005 02:32 PM

If you want to know which glow plugs are bad you can power them up individually through an amp meter if the glow plug is glowing the meter will measure current flow (or amps). You dont need to remove them from the car either you can power them up when they are still in the cyl head just touch one wire to the end of the glow plug and the other to the positive bat terminal. I have used this method several times to find which one is bad because I'm too cheap to replace all at the same time!

sleepwalker 02-09-2005 05:03 PM

i do the same way too... power them up.