Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

84' 300DT half shaft replacement problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Default 84' 300DT half shaft replacement problems

A few months back I noticed the boot on the drivers side, rear CV joint was split and the axle was making a swooshing sound especially while accelerating. The swooshing noise had been going on for months and the rear end would also shake a bit during acceleration.

Half Shaft replacement:
Took off tire, caliper, unbolted shaft from center of hub, drained differential, *lowered and opened differential, removed c-clip, supported wheel and differential with separate jacks, raised diff, shaft came out of hub, pulled shaft from diff.

*While initially lowering the differential I unbolted it until it fell… doh! It took me a few minutes to move the jack into place and support it.

During installation of the new half shaft the c-clip grove, inside the differential, was not coming through enough to push the c-clip on. At this point I decided to take off the spacer ring from the outside of the differential housing, to give me enough room.

I hoped the new half shaft that I installed would solve both problems, the swooshing is gone but the shaking has become worse and when the car has been sitting for a while and I drive a few feet down a perfectly smooth road, I can feel the rear end lift and fall as if one of my tires was slightly egg shaped.

My questions are:
Should I have removed the spacer?
If not, what should I have done to push the shaft through enough to put the clip on?
Could I have ruined this or the other (passenger side) half shaft?
How do I diagnose which shaft is causing this rise and fall of the rear end?

Thanks in advance!
-Al