Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums

Mercedes Forum - Mercedes Benz Enthusiast Forums (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/)
-   Diesel Discussions (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/)
-   -   84 300d turbo transmission problems (https://mercedesforum.com/forum/diesel-discussions-33/84-300d-turbo-transmission-problems-57073/)

84300dturbo 12-12-2016 10:38 PM

84 300d turbo transmission problems

I'm new to the fourm. I wanted to post a problem I have been having. About a week ago my car just all of a sudden wouldn't go anywhere in first gear it was slipping really bad. So I thought the transmission was gone but I adjusted the Bowden cable very loose and the car would go again it was starting off in second gear but the transmission was flaring really bad during gear changes. So i started messing with the vacuum modulator and nothing was helping the flaring so I got curious and just disconnected it and ironically now it shifts smoothly but I still don't have 1st gear. So I'm just baffled about it all. Has anybody ever had such a problem? The car has 308000 miles and the engine runs great I've heard the the b2 piston could be bad but it's not leaking fluid. So if anybody could help me I would greatly appreciate it.

84300dturbo 12-13-2016 10:35 PM

How do I go about checking the vcv? I don't have a vacuum gauge to check how much it's actually creating. But I do know that the vacuum pump is making vacuum. This is the first diesel vehicle I've ever owned so I'm still learning alot. It does have the new style modulator and as of right now the modulator is disconnected and the Bowden cable is loosened a good bit. This is the only way I can get the car to go forward but if i put the car in first manually it just revs up. But in drive it goes and shifts smooth It's just very sluggish on takeoff though. If I hook up the modulator up and put the Bowden cable back to where it's supposed to be it just revs up when I push the throttle. It will only takeoff unless I repetitively push the throttle then it flares really bad during gear changes. Hopefully that is a little better explained.

84300dturbo 12-15-2016 01:03 AM

I'm going today to buy a vacuum gauge. My tachometer doesn't work due to the rpm amplifier being bad. I am however gonna take note on what mph my car shifts at and post it . When I put it in park it does have to roll a little bit before it engages.

84300dturbo 12-15-2016 01:09 AM

It will rev up about a half second then goes to second gear and does shift threw all gears but it gets to 4th gear very quickly . I'll post more accurate mph shift times but I'm really starting to think it's just my vcv making all these problems so I'm gonna soon replace from a junk car I know of near me just to see what happens .

84300dturbo 12-15-2016 01:15 AM

I also noticed yesterday when I was messing with the vcv it was making a buzzing sound when I rev up the car which is also making me think it has went bad .