Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

83 300TDT non-start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:01 AM
Default 83 300TDT non-start

Updated post
Problem: While running my car with the shut off valve actuator disconnected from vacuum, a gauge on the line that supplies vacuum to that actuator and the ignition shut off to measure vacuum supplied to the actuator, the car slowly built to about -5lbs before the car rattled to a stop. The shut off valve actuatorwas disconnected from vacuum.
The car will now crank but is not getting fuel.
I have verified that there is no fuel at the return line when car cranks, no fuel moving in the prefilter.
I have removed and checked the shut off actuator and shut off linkage. They are all moving freely and properly.
I have replaced the pre-filter and tried to prime the line, but my primerdoes not seem to beworking and I may still have some bubbles.
I will order a new primer pump and may try to borrow the one off the spare car to see if I can purge the line and restore life toit that way.
Any other obvious or subtle things which I am overlooking and I should check?
Thanks!

Original post I was trying to diagnose my cars run on (failure to stop with key off) and have fixed the problem by the car now refusing to start.
The car started and ran fine previously. I was checking for vacuum leaks in lines and had the car running. I found that by pulling vac on the small vac line on the absolute rear of the shut off valve device on the rear of the pump it killed the engine, so I put the gauge on that line and turned of the key. Vacuum slowly built on the gauge and the car came rattling to a stop (more or less as it normally does), with that line disconnected from the valve.
No I can crank to no avail. It seems that I am not getting fuel.
Is there a good shop manual for this car? The Haynes manual has proven to be pretty worthless for everything I have tried to fix thus far (vac system, hydro suspension, shut off valve).
What might I have done? Did I break the valve? Is it stuck? Is there a way to unstick it?
I thought I might need to prime the line, since the symptoms are a lot like that problem. It cranks sputters and puffs, but does not fire. My primer pump does not seem to work. When I pump it I have no resistance. It moves in and out freely, and does not ever seem to move any fuel (watching the pre-filter for bubbles or movement).
I have a parts car with a good running motor. Is it possible to swap over the shut-off valve without major stress?

Old 04-28-2008, 11:41 AM
Default RE: 83 300TDT non-start

Thanks for the link!
I have tried running it with the line disconnected from the rear of the assembly. It still did not fire. I will try again.
I will also check that line to see if there is vacuum there when the engine cranks. If there is not, as I suspect from my attempts yesterday,any other suggestions?

Old 04-28-2008, 04:13 PM

Try bowing air into the valve it may of stuck closed

Old 04-28-2008, 06:50 PM

I think that people call it a valve b/c it actuates the valve which shuts off the pump.
I will try putting a little positive pressure on the diaphragm to "actuate" it the other way.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 PM

I confirmed with the line to the actuator disconnected, no start.
I put air pressure on the actuator in case it was "stuck".
Same condition.
Verified that I was not getting any fuel at bypass (none)
Fuel in prefilter, but my primer pump seems to be dead, so I could not properly bleed the lines.

The condition when the car ran last was that the vac line was disconnected from the actuator. Car was running, key shut off. Vacum built slowly in line to the acuator but the car died even with no vac to the actuator. It will now not start. Appears to have no fuel.
Thoughts? What's next?

Old 04-29-2008, 09:34 PM

Help!
I have updated the first post with current info. Still looking for suggestions.
THANKS!

Old 05-03-2008, 09:41 PM

I did get it to start. Replaced the fuel lines and pre filter. Worked the pump vigorously with it leaking all over the place until it seemed that I had achieved a primed status. It still took a really good crank to get it up and running. I have a new primer on order and will change the main filter and run some diesel puurge once I am sure that I can get the pump primed again.
thanks for all the help