Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

'82 300 CD TurboDiesel Very hard start when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 07:50 PM
Default '82 300 CD TurboDiesel Very hard start when cold

125k original miles, my grandmother handed this car down to my mother, who passed it on to me

Anyway, looking for advice on where to start troubleshooting. Runs just great when warm, but it takes at least 30 seconds of cranking before the engine starts (afraid I'm going to drain the battery and wear out the starter). Suggestions please? Glow plugs, fuel filters, both (it's been a long while since either of those were changed, or anything else you fine and knowledgeable members can provide me... I'm trying to do it on the cheap. What should I check first? Second? Bonus points if any of you know a reputable Mercedes mechanic in Southern California.

Thanks for your time.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:48 PM

Check your glow plugs. take a test light and connect lead to the positive + side of battery then place the probe end of the test light on each glow plug if the light comes on then that glow plug is grounded- and needs to be replaced. if you test all glow plugs test good the next step is to check the glow plug relay. Do your self a favor and buy you a factory mercedes repair guid;

Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 PM

What is the allowable ohms on these glowplugs, not trying to hijack the thread just thought it might be helpful in diagnosing.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 AM

With only 125 K it is like new yet. The prime reason for hard starting is glow plugs or the grow plug control. Do you see white smoke from the exhaust as you are cranking it ? If so, its getting fuel. When it starts does it limp or even want to stop till it gets a bit warm ? If so, I highly suspect the glow plug system.

Originally Posted by damionlloyd
125k original miles, my grandmother handed this car down to my mother, who passed it on to me

Anyway, looking for advice on where to start troubleshooting. Runs just great when warm, but it takes at least 30 seconds of cranking before the engine starts (afraid I'm going to drain the battery and wear out the starter). Suggestions please? Glow plugs, fuel filters, both (it's been a long while since either of those were changed, or anything else you fine and knowledgeable members can provide me... I'm trying to do it on the cheap. What should I check first? Second? Bonus points if any of you know a reputable Mercedes mechanic in Southern California.

Thanks for your time.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by damionlloyd

Thanks for your time.
A Great Indy Shop in San Diego Area South Bay Autohaus 619 838 8171

Old 03-23-2012, 08:11 PM

The Diesel Giant Website has a pictorial on testing the Glow Plugs. (This is not an endorsement to buy parts from Him.)

Having the Valves adjusted correctly has been know to improve Starting.