Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

81' 300cd lower engine gasket oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 07:20 PM
Default 81' 300cd lower engine gasket oil leak

what is the name of the gasket that runs from rear to front of lower portion of the engine (not the oil pan) it appears to be worn an leaking.

bottom portion of the engine and all along the steering leakage is greased out... where in the world is all the grease/oily fluid coming from! aside from the valve cover and oil pan gasket areas are any common areas i should give a hard look at for leaks.

thanks

Old 02-22-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by seadog
what is the name of the gasket that runs from rear to front of lower portion of the engine (not the oil pan) it appears to be worn an leaking.

bottom portion of the engine and all along the steering leakage is greased out... where in the world is all the grease/oily fluid coming from! aside from the valve cover and oil pan gasket areas are any common areas i should give a hard look at for leaks.

thanks
The larg Aluminum Pan between the Engine and that little Oil Pan to the best of my knowlege has no Gasket. There is a Sealant for that.
In any event everthing I have read tells me the Engine would have to come off to renew that sealant or to change the Rear Main Bearing Seal.

The best way to find where something is leaking is to clean everthing off and then drive around and check where the Leaks are coming from

After I cleaned mine I found that 90% of my Oil leak was from the Valve Cover Gasket.

Check your Engine Breather to make sure the Hoses/tubing is not cracked.
Check where the Vacuum Pump Bolts up to the Engine (that has a Gsket)
On mine I have a leak where the Fuel Injection Pump Bolts up to the Engine and where the Oil Filter Housing Bolts to the Engine.
The Front Main Seal can be change with the Engine in the Car.

If it was a Engine with a Turbo Charger it could be leaking from the Breather Drain Tubing at the Air Filter or down at the bottom of the Tubing. (On O-ring at top and one at the bottom.)
The Turbo Charger Drain Tube, Draing Tube Seals or Grommet. (2 O-rings and a Rubber Grommet.)

Old 02-22-2011, 11:12 PM

I missed something.
On each side of the Oil Pan you have Steel Oil Cooler Tubing. It is not uncommon for the rubber on the Brackets to rot off and for the Metal Bracket to rub a hole in the Oil Cooler Tubing.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:30 PM

I will surely look into all and see what I can find... the car is new to me, i am "currently" very motivated to make all repairs... so long as i do little to no harm and of course, as long as i know how. Thanks.