Diesel Discussions Only diesel topics should be posted here.

240D hasnt been started in 15 years!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Default 240D hasnt been started in 15 years!

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum and have just acquired my dads old 240D. Does anyone have an suggestions on what i should do/prepare for to get this thing started? I have a feeling it wont be cake, but with some advice ill know for sure. Suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 12-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Default RE: 240D hasnt been started in 15 years!

ORIGINAL: shin00bi

Hi everyone. Im new to this forum and have just acquired my dads old 240D. Does anyone have an suggestions on what i should do/prepare for to get this thing started? I have a feeling it wont be cake, but with some advice ill know for sure. Suggestions from anyone are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
First change all filters and fluids. That includes crank case oil, transmission fluid, differential , and coolant. Drain the fuel tank and clean the strainer. If you have a Pella or some other way of sucking the fuel out, you're well ahead of the game because you only have to deal with a few liters of fuel when you get underneath, drain it, remove the fuel strainer and check for algae....If the tank is clean add a few gallons of fuel. You'll also most probably need a new battery.

Check the glow plugs, relay and strip fuse. What year is your 240D? If it's a 1979 or older, the glow plugs are looped and in series. 1980 and up use the newer, hotter glow plugs which are wired in parallel.. If all is ok, then go to http://www.dieselgiant.com Look under mercedes maintenance tips and you'll find a pictorial on how to do a diesel purge. Follow those directions and if the fuel pump, injector pump, injectors and engine are aok, then Remove the injectors, mix a little STP with engine oil and put on tablespoon into each cylinder. Turn the engine over until you can no longer smell the stp... That should seal up the rings and it should fire up. If not, then remove the air cleaner and spray in some WD 40... that should get it going... whatever you do, don't use either because it could ruin the engine...

Old 12-15-2006, 01:08 AM

if you want to be extra cautious you could manually rotate the engine via a breaker bar on the crank while the injectors are removed to make your life easy. back flushing the fuel lines or even replacing them altogether would eliminate the possibility of fluid leaks. also check the lines that go between the injectors for damage or rot. before you start her up check the exhaust system for nests which are on/near the exhaust system, i found that one out the hard way on a 68 oldsmobile.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:41 PM

hello im a little late but on a 240d if the tank is not full this sort of bacteria grows in the tank you can get a air compressor and blow threw the fuel tank but that did not work for me I had to take the car in and have them clean the tank and the car should fire right up dont waste your time or money on the other things